Monday, June 1, 2009

...To Remain Nameless

I have postponed this entry because I know she will be mortified to read this about herself. I just can't leave it unsaid for another day. I promise not mention Aunt Sue's name in full. ;)

My aunt came to the hospital on Friday to visit Bill, and told us that she took a leave of absence from her full-time job to give us a much needed hand. She is going to handle the care giving during the week and is taking control of Bill's medications, ensuring he takes them on time and in the correct dosages. She also is tackling his eating issue... or lack of eating issue. Today she organized his medications, called for refills, made his scan appointment, called his doctor, and got the ball rolling on getting a hospital bed. Things I honestly couldn't have done in a week's time, let alone an hour. She is allowing me to be just the wife and mother, and not nurse, which is one hat I gladly relinquish.

I even got to go to Target BY MYSELF to pick up Bill's prescriptions while she stayed home with Tyler. To say it was a nice treat is an understatement.

Please note: My uncle is also under the weather recovering from surgery, so she is doing double duty as lead care taker for both of them. Mix into that the fact that both are men, and you can clearly see the unselfishness in her offer.

We are so very grateful for this generous offer! I cannot express our sincere appreciation for the additional help... especially since the last two weeks of school are so crazy. I feel as though a heavy weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. Her love and warmth are just what the doctor ordered. Cancer continues to show us our many blessings... I can't say that I am totally thankful for it, but we must look on the bright side once and awhile.

6 comments:

daune abadie said...

Angels are sent to us right when we need them most! Hooray for Aunt Sue and God bless her!

If you need anything these last 2 weeks, let me know. I've got some time to share with you :-)
d

Gene and Susie said...

God bless Aunt Sue!!!

Tamie said...

Thank you, Aunt Sue, from all of us that love Jackie and Bill too!

Tamie

NL said...

Aunt Sue is Saint Sue in my book! Now you can take a deep breath and focus on the most important people in your life! Nancy

TEAM HOGAN said...

I wanted to quickly thank Aunt Sue. Its times like this when people really step up to the plate.

And dont think I am at all criticizing those who havent or cant. Cancer creates an awkwardness with some people that is understandable.

I guess what I am saying is that for those of you who feel badly/dont know what to say/etc just a simple small gesture is always appreciated.

We cant all be "Aunt Sue" so if you can find your own unique way of supporting Bill, Jackie and Tyler, please do so! :)

Anna Hogan

Anonymous said...

What a true Angel! I hope all is better for awhile now with the pain and sickness and that you can all spend some nice time together!
Love you!

Julie and Lenny