Sunday, June 7, 2009

The H Word

Many people automatically have a negative connotation with regard to hospice. In my experience so far, it is the reprieve we so desperately need. The nurse came today (stayed for almost 4 hours) and arranged everything we might need for Bill's care. Medications are being delivered tonight and a nurse will come tomorrow to rearrange some of them. Since he is on oral medications, we will switch some over to liquid drops. He had some major bouts of nauseousness today and vomited twice... once having just taken his pain meds.

Our goal now is to keep him comfortable and out of pain. Although he's pretty loopy, I know his pain level is not an issue. Hospice will provide so many amazing services that I feel like a weight has been lifted and he is getting the treatment he needs. I must be honest to say that things are progressing quickly and my goal is to follow all of Bill's wishes and plans written in his directive. As hard as it is to actually make decisions on his behalf, I know what he wants (and doesn't want) and am trying to separate my wants from his.

We are doing well, with intermittent tears mixed with some funny moments. (You have to laugh sometimes...) Fortunately, we have an immense amount of help, support, and prayers. One day at a time...

7 comments:

NL said...

I know the path you are following. Tears from laughter and sadness co-mingle, as crazy as it sounds. God has a truly remarkable way of taking care of us through life and death. I can feel the weight being lifted off your shoulders and for that I am grateful to God and His servant, Hospice. Love, Nancy

Susan and Kevin said...

Jackie,
I can feel, through your words, the pain you are feeling. I am so sorry that this tragedy had to happen. I hope and pray that the love and support that you and Bill feel is some sort of comfort to both of you. You are doing a fabulous job taking care of Bill. Be strong and know that we are here for you and always will be.
Susan

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear hospice will now be available for you and your family.

Once school is out, you all can just focus on being together as a family during this difficult time.

Things are moving in the direction God intends them to move.

Love,
Bob

Anonymous said...

May God watch over you, give you strength and guide you through this most difficult time. You're in my prayers.

Irene McGoldrick said...

Jackie,

I am so glad you have hospice in.

I am feeling for you.

Irene

Anonymous said...

Hospice is wonderful! I know first-hand how much you, Bill, (and your whole family) will benefit from this experience with these marvelous people. Keep the faith, sweetie...Val

daune abadie said...

Laughter is just what the dr. ordered! Daily doses are what help get you through. To this day, I can remember so many FUNNY moments with my mom during the hard times. We all still laugh and those are good memories!

Let these moments mix with the hard ones, it seems healthy and heals your heart!

Hospice is a saving grace! The nurses are so helpful and so caring! I am grateful that you have their help now.

You are amazing! Don't forget to lean on your friends and family whenever you need. You are in my prayers!
d