Monday, June 22, 2009

Donations

So many generous people have inquired about a memorial fund or donation they can make in Bill's honor. While I have not set up a memorial fund, I do have a recommendation if you are so inclined. In fact, Bill and I talked frequently about what charity to which I would donate after his death. (He wanted to have a say in all of the "afters"... but that is an entirely different post.)

A little background...
We originally were ecstatic to donate to the City of Hope, but after our lackluster experience, our enthusiasm dwindled. I found the Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF) and their website answered millions of my questions. They also have a bulletin board/chat area for patients and caregivers that has literally saved my sanity (the little I have left). I would check the board nightly and have made friends with others fighting this beast both directly and indirectly. This is why I will choose MRF as my donation recipient. I truly feel that I can put a "face to a name" with this amazing organization.

You can make a donation by mail to:

The Melanoma Research Foundation

170 Township Line Road, Building B
Hillsborough, NJ 08844
Phone: 1-800-MRF-1290 Fax: 908-281-0937

Please make check payable to the Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF).
Your donation is tax-deductible.

EIN# 76-0514428

If you prefer, you can make a
donation through their secure online site.
http://www.melanoma.org/memorialdonation.aspx

Another option that we talked about as a family is the support of Hospice... particularly Vitas Hospice. They were incredible and supported ALL of us through such a difficult time.

Even though it has only been week (I can't believe it has been a whole week), I am already planning ways that I can "pay it forward" and give something back to those in need. We are so greatly supported that I am excited and motivated to be able to do something for others in desperate need, like we were.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie, You are so incredible. I love reading your post. I am sure that you have those moments when you break down, but you have such a positive attitude that it is contagious. I can't wait until you get back to our bunco group. I was so happy to share Friday with you and worried about you on Sunday, Father's Day. But you made the best of it and I am sure that Bill is so proud. I hope that Bill's parents and sister and just as touched by your positive outlook. <3 Michelle Beresford

Unknown said...

Jackie,

Thank you for the opportunity to pay tribute to Bill through a donation to the Melanoma Res.Fdtion.

Keep the faith as Bill is hugging you & Tyler 24/7. Mazza Family

Gene and Susie said...

We had some friends who also had a 'lackluster' experience with City of Hope. I used to hear nothing but positive about them - I guess the 'insurance' bug has hit them, too. It's too bad because it used to have such a wonderful reputation. I'm glad you found the positive in another foundation. We'll make our contribution in Bill's name.