Thursday, June 25, 2009

An Icon Lost the Battle

No, not Michael Jackson, although I was surprised by his death, I am referring to Farrah Fawcett. She lost her battle with cancer this morning. I don't think her death was unexpected, but it still made me sad. After watching her cancer special about the trials of her treatment from Bill's hospital room, I gained a new level of respect for her. Not many beautiful celebrities would allow themselves to be so vulnerable and raw on national TV. I am disappointed that the news coverage is only really focusing on Michael. She would have been able to further spread cancer awareness, even after her death, if Michael would have held on a little longer. I feel like she was robbed of the spotlight she deserved. It just hit a little too close to home today.

5 comments:

The Fu2rman said...

I was thinking the very same thing! Michael Jackson totally stole Farrah's thunder.

When I was a kid, I LOVED Charlie's Angels. I know the guys out there will relate to this, but watching that show made it VERY clear what team I was playing for. Yvonne Craig's Batgirl was the first, but that's another story.

While Farrah wasn't my favorite Angel, (maybe even my least favorite), I came to respect her a great deal since learning of her very public fight against cancer.

In light of our family's recent events, her death does hit home. And you hit it on the head, it's a shame that Michael's death is overshadowing what could have been for Farrah's legacy and her fight for cancer awareness.

On another note, let me be the first to wish you a Happy Birthday! I hope you don't mind that being "public" information now....

Love,

Todd

The Fu2rman said...

Well, I'm 31 minutes early...

NL said...

Jackie,

Yes, wishing you a great birthday!! May this birthday be a re-birth of your life, one you are now building with Tyler.

Enjoy your day and let others indulge you!!

Love,
Nancy

Mike and Kelly G said...

Jackie,

I think we would all agree that Michael is going to steal the spotlight, a damn shame. Happy Birthday sweetie.

Love to You and Tyler
Mike & Kelly

Unknown said...

Jackie,

You couldn't have said it better.

Happy birthday!

Mary