Friday, June 12, 2009

Pizza Coupon

We had a quiet day today without any mishaps, falls, or vomit! We did have quite a few hallucinations, though. It also seems as though the medication is making him a little paranoid. We started writing things down so we could possibly see clues into what he's thinking. He is talking a lot about weapons and protection... which is odd from someone who isn't into that kind of thing. I actually think he might be preparing me to somehow be protected after he is gone. He also reminded me that we have a coupon for a free pizza, and wanted to make sure it was eventually used. Sometimes you have to laugh...

He says the voices talk to him and he talks back and reaches out for them. Today, I heard him say things to the ceiling like, "...but I really shouldn't be driving." "They are here already? I thought I had more time." "I need to leave soon, and I can't stay in the house." We pretty much respond with the answer we think he wants to hear. Sometimes it works... other times, it doesn't.

Medication every hour is brutal. I don't understand how "they" can expect a caregiver to give a dose each hour - nighttime is really hard. Granted, I have loads and loads of help all day and all night, so we set a schedule and all is well. I can't imagine being alone at night and administering meds around the clock without sleeping. Sleep is so hard to come by as it is.

Adam (Bill's cousin) flew in from Holland today, after being in Europe a month. He had a hard time getting a flight and being so far away just made matters worse. I wish I could have prepared him for what he was walking into, but we all have gone through our different "realization" phases, and unfortunately tonight was Adam's turn. Let's be realistic, there really is no preparation...

2 comments:

NL said...

Dearest Jackie,

This is such predictable behavior on Bill's part. He is speaking with the "other side"... who "they" are only Bill knows. This is all part of the process and there is nothing to fear. I learned all sorts of family secrets when my mom was going through the same process It is true, sometimes you have to laugh; again, it is all part of a greater plan.

Love to you all, Nancy

daune abadie said...

Jackie,
It's the funny statements that get us through...my mom demanded that my dad get his car painted (she must have really disliked it, right?) and told us to order every magazine in the catalog so we'd have something to read. Store these "lighter" moments in your memory and they will help with the painful ones.

Praying for all of you,
d