Friday, June 26, 2009

The Post You May Want to Skip

Everything I had researched and read about death mentioned the feelings of peace and calm that a terminal patient finally achieves. The last two weeks of Bill's life were anything but peaceful. I repeatedly stated that what Bill (and our family) endured was not even close to the realm of one dying in peace. I honestly felt that everything comforting I had heard about death was a lie... I was bitter that after such a difficult fight, even his death would be painful and stressful.

On Monday, June 15th, around 4:30 in the afternoon I finally allowed myself to leave Bill's side and head downstairs for a break. I had been next to him the better part of the day. It had been all of about 15 minutes, and I had just finished making Tyler a sandwich. Adam heard his mom's warning from upstairs and looked at me and said, "He's going." We both ran at full speed up the stairs. My heart sank... I knew the moment for which we had all reluctantly prayed was actually happening. One can NEVER prepare.

I sat next his shell and put his hand in mine and watched his chest attempt to keep taking breaths. (They were very few and far between.) After having his eyes closed and his mouth open for a solid three days, he opened his eyes and closed his mouth. He also took both of his hands out of ours and slowly set them on top of each other on his stomach in preparation for his final slumber... and then he took his last breath at exactly 5:00.

We sat around him praying and crying for about 15 minutes. After he passed, his eyes closed again and his mouth reopened when his jaw muscles loosened. I actually tried to close it and the nurse warned me that his jaw wouldn't stay shut, but I had to try it for myself. We took our attention off of Bill and recapped what had happened and talked about logistics with the nurse. I looked back to Bill's thin face and couldn't believe what I saw... he had closed his mouth almost completely and was wearing a grin that only Bill could give. HE WAS SMILING! I never would have believed it if I didn't see it for myself. An actual SMILE. Finally, he was at peace... we were at peace... The fight was over and it WAS peaceful.

Before Bill passed, I told him I wanted some sort of sign afterward that he was all right and made his journey safely. I also clarified that "a sign" was not the same as "haunting". I clearly told him that I did not wish to be haunted or scared in any way. No peaking in windows or showing up in pictures as a ghost, etc. He said he understood and would do his best to honor my wishes. I got my sign... he smiled to let me know all was well, and he made it safely. Hence the reason I took pictures. As odd as it sounds, Bill's death was a beautiful life experience. I get it now... the peacefulness, the calmness, the serenity... I get it.

10 comments:

heidi said...

beautiful

NL said...

Jackie,

Thank you for posting a most personal and intimate experience between you and Bill. I certainly did not expect you to communicate Bill's final minutes, but I must admit it brought me comfort.

Throughout the better part of the year we, the readers of your blog, have traveled this journey along side you. it pained me so much to know what Bill endured and how he suffered. It is comforting to know that in the end he was at peace, and through God provided a sign that he was, once again, whole.

Love to you,
Nancy

Aunt Judy said...

Jac: I, too, have relived those beautiful final moments when Bill took his last breath. That beautiful, peaceful smile will be etched in my heart forever.
I love you, Jackie!
Aunt Judy

Mike and Kelly G said...

Jackie,
Thank you so much for sharing your personal moments with us.

Love to you,
Kelly & Mike

Anonymous said...

Jackie,

It is very, very peaceful...Please believe that Bill is in the hands of God and pain free.

All our love and prayers for you and Tyler

TEAM HOGAN said...

I told you that you'd get your sign!!

Annie said...

What a gift. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Jackie,
You've mentioned a couple of times that this blog is your "therapy"...Thank-God for that because it's turned into mine too in a round-about way. It has taught me so many things that words fail me. Thanks to you I got see my friend one last time, and I will be forever grateful!!

Blessings,
Alison

Anonymous said...

I hope that no one skips this post...it was so comforting to know that he is in peace now and not the pain, just as you said, it is hard to know, only what you hear, well I am glad that you were able to experience that with Bill after all that you have gone through, once again, (I can never say it enough) you are an amazing person! Thank you for sharing and I continue to pray and wish the best for you and Tyler everyday! Love, Julie B.

Anonymous said...

WOW!

This is the post I most want to read over and over and over again!

This how God intended it to be.

TWO AMAZING PEOPLE! :-)