Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Nightmare!

Well, we had quite a scare tonight. Bill felt nauseous the majority of the day and had a hard time eating... not totally abnormal, but still worrisome. His nurse called today and told him the doctor was ordering a diuretic (which we asked about months ago) and a potassium pill to add to the repertoire. Easy enough, the new additions are ready for medicine time tomorrow morning.

I was downstairs making him some soup at the stove and heard (him) banging on the floor to get my attention. That alone threw me into a panic. I did manage to turn the stove off! I raced upstairs, and he told me he thought he needed to go to the doctor. He threw up blood! Although frightening beyond belief, he did say he thought he felt better afterward. I made two phone calls, one to get my mom here, and one to Joe and Ann to have them meet us. I then called Christina (a nurse at the City of Hope) and she gave me some guidance as to what to do next. I called the nurse triage line at Hope to let them know we were coming, and they told me that they were unable to take new patients since they didn't have any beds available. NIGHTMARE! By this point, Bill was downstairs and was refusing to go to a random ER, especially since he hadn't eaten and wanted his soup. Well, that was a pretty good sign, and the nurse on the triage line said that we could watch him, and if it happened again, to head to the nearest ER. At this point I had my mom and Bill's parents headed to our house and no hospital visit planned. It all worked out... my mom stayed until Joe and Ann got here. They are spending the night... just in case we need to go somewhere in the middle of the night. Phew!! I am expecting his doctor to check in with us in the morning. Bill is also scheduled to have his stomach drained on Thursday. Hopefully that is the only excitement the next few days. I have had all I can take for the week... and it's only Tuesday!

5 comments:

NL said...

You probably know this already, but St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton just opened their new ER! (Harbor and Bastenchury) From personal experience, they are wonderful. The few times my dad was visiting and had to go in (his hospital/docs were at UCLA) the St. Jude docs were terrific in getting in touch with the folks at UCLA. We have had a lot of family taken care of by St. Jude and they did a great job! Let's hope you don't have the need for an ER, but just in case...Glad Bill's folks are with you tonight!

Anonymous said...

I wish there was more one of us could do for you and Bill besides pray.

May God be with you an Bill at all times.

Love You Three

Char said...

WOW! That sounds scary!

Maybe look into a back-up hospital just in case it ever happens again.

Anonymous said...

I have always gone to Call a Nurse for all of my health concerns. Because of my family history I need to have regular checkups and whenever I have a question I call Call a Nurse and they are always very polite and knowledgeable. It is very important to stay on top of your health and have a check up at least once a year to ensure that you remain healthy. Many health problems are curable but you need to catch them in time. Do not wait to go see a doctor because it may be too late.

Anonymous said...

When choosing a doctor to take care of your medical needs you need to make sure that the doctor that you trust your most personal information to is keeping that information safe and secure.