Monday, March 9, 2009

City of Hope Recap

We went to Bill's appointment at the City of Hope today and it went well. His blood work all came back fine, but they showed concern for his extreme fatigue and the fact that his hands (and sometimes toes) go numb. It seems to be only when he gets cold, but he practically has to put them in boiling water for them to thaw and gain feeling. Come to find out, that can be a result of the medication - the trial drugs, not all of the other meds. The consensus was to go completely off the two trial drugs while they contact the doctor (on the East Coast) to see what they should do next. He has never taken a break from both drugs, just the harsh one that he takes every other day. The break cannot exceed two weeks, or he must stop the trial all together. They are hoping he gets some stamina back and feels a little more human. We will check in with them at the end of the week to see if there is an improvement and possibly go back on the medications. Only time will tell...

On the way home, Bill cornered me and said he had something serious to ask me. I guess it's not really "cornering" since we were in the car, but he figured I couldn't escape if I was behind the wheel. I also discovered that he was not really asking me anything, but telling me about his idea. I know it is in the back of his (and my) mind that the trial may not work forever... Long story short(er)... Bill has always wanted an old (classic) 1960ish Lincoln or Cadillac convertible. He said if he only has a short a time left, he wants to drive his dream car while he can. So, his plan is for us to sell his car and get an old (classic) one... can you detect my excitement? I couldn't exactly recommend Make-A-Wish, (although he could probably pick a superstar, like Justin Timberlake, to cruise around with him) but I ended up agreeing to his desire for an old (classic) car. How do you say 'no' to a guy requesting his "last dying wish," as he so delicately put it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie,

This breaks my heart, but, sell that Honda and buy a Lincoln!

Suicide doors, black on black! Let Bill roll in old school style.

I don't have a lot of extra money, but I will give you my last penny to make that happen!

Todd

Anonymous said...

Wow Jackie...where have I been? I had no idea you and your hubby were going through this. I am sure it must be hard on both of you.

My personal opinion....last days or not, I say let him have his Caddy! It's just a car.

~Debbie L.

Anonymous said...

It's not a Cadillac or a Lincoln or a convertible but it's a 60! The Impala is ready to roll; just have to roll down all the windows and let the wind! Back in the day, you loved to go for rides in it. 8-)

Anonymous said...

Before you sell any vehicles check out the Dream Foundation at www.dreamfoundation.org
They help grant wishes for seriously ill adults.
My best to your family.

Kathy (Bishop Amat, class of '85)

Anonymous said...

OH MY gOD JUST DO IT ....THE CADY OF COURSE...
aLL mY lOVE AND pRAYERS

Anonymous said...

Opps sorry God lol