Monday, December 8, 2008

The Week of Waiting

Bill had his scan this morning and it went well... as well as it could go, I suppose. He drank the barium last night (not a exactly a tasty treat) and then had another one for this morning. He drank part of the 2nd one before it came back up, but luckily, was able to get most of it down. Nothing eventful happened at the the scan, and the waiting is excruciating. We need to know the tumor's measurements in order to determine the next step. We are unsure whether treatment will stay with the trial, or if he will give chemo a try. We were told by the first oncologist that, "chemo won't work" so it is not encouraging to have that as our Plan B. I am actually content with the not knowing part of the week... Bill, on the other hand, is ready to know immediately.

I think almost every parent has a story similar to this one...
I can remember my cousin Katie (now 23) as a two-year-old saying to my aunt, "Kiss me like they do on Top Gun." (Yes, I realize that movie title is a blast from the past.) In case you need a translation, she wanted to be kissed with an open mouth. Tyler woke up on Sunday morning and said to me, "Mommy, kiss me
s-l-o-w-l-y on your mouth." I tried to explain to him that we are not that kind of family, but rationalinzing with a three-year-old is no easy task. ;)

3 comments:

Gene and Susie said...

Your family remains in my prayers, as do Joe and Ann. I love them dearly. Kissing story - I have a grandson that like to give what he calls 'slobbery kisses.' He gets slobber on this lips, then kisses with it. If he weren't mine, it might gross me out. I have a little granddaughter that saw her Daddy kiss her Mommy rather passionately. Now when she kisses me, she puts her tiny little hands on my face and stays there for a long time. It's hard not to giggle! Life gives pain - life gives pleasure. To quote Joseph B. Wirthlin, 'take what comes and love it.'

Char said...

I can see your's and Bill's point of view. "What you don't know won't hurt you", but having all the info let's you make a plan.

Me: I'm a planner.


Thank you also for the kind words and encouragement.

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

omg lol hannah's done that before too. wanted a passionate kiss from her grandpa. they just dont get it at this age!