Monday, September 1, 2008

I am THAT mom...

Tyler starts preschool tomorrow. Although it kills me to not be there his first day of preschool, I know it's something Bill will enjoy sharing with him. That is if Tyler doesn't cry and freak out when he's dropped off. I packed his lunch tonight and his backpack is all ready to go. I put the camera out so Bill can take his picture. He has his blanket and pillow to leave there, in case he ever needs to stay for nap time - but something tells me that my mom will never allow that to happen. On top of it all, I had his backpack, lunch bag, blanket, AND sheet embroidered with his name so they all match. I have turned into THAT mom! I even have gift cards with "thank you" notes for the teachers to show our appreciation in advance.

Something I learned about having a child that is of "school" age. The feeling that you want the teacher to love your baby is very real and very strong. I had no idea the urge to have him love school would be so forceful. I don't really care if he learns anything or not, I just want him to be loved by his teacher. It's a great reminder to myself as I start a new school year with my own students. That is all any parent wants!

5 comments:

The Fu2rman said...

Sis,

That's great, but you have to harden the boy!

Mom and Dad Dumped us off, gave the teacher some Valium, and said, "if these little, you know what's, get out of hand, dose them!

Why do you think you liked school, and I didn't? I spit out the pills!

Haha! Only kidding.

I remember taking a fresh 'Holy Blanket' to pre-school.

For those that don't know me, my Peanuts Gang, 'Linus blanket' was a blanket that had 'HOLES' or a mesh to it. It was outlined with a satin boarder. I used to fall asleep by putting my index finger through as many "holes" as I could, and then rubbing the satin boarder.

I don't know why that was comforting, it seems weird now, I mean, I gave that up at least a year ago!

But Tyler may need his little 'Linus Blanket' and who knows what that may be?

It may be nothing.

He is a pretty adventurous boy, I was impressed! I took him on the motorized Razor, and he LOVED it!

Mom and Grandma were freakin' out when I was going slow in their view.

But just to let you know, when we got to the side of the house, I asked if Tyler wanted to go faster, he said yes!

So we topped out that scooter, he loved it!

I know that because, I asked if he wanted to get back on, and go fast again.

He said, 'YES!'

We raced around the front yard, and then went slow in the back yard to make Mom, the G-Mom's happy.

But if you noticed, he was ready to go again, and wanted to go 'Fast' not like we did in the back yard.

Sorry Sis, you have a little Adventurer...Bill, This is your Boy! You have done well, he is fearless!

I think he takes after his Daddy!

What do you think?

Susan and Kevin said...

Hi Bill and Jackie,
It was great to see both of you today and to share some stories and laugh together. Jackie, you are a great writer and perhaps one day will find you have a talent as an author. In the meantime, thank you for posting so diligently and sharing your thoughts, feelings, and emotions on such a heart wrenching experience. The honesty with which you write shows both your pain and your strength. Please know that you and Bill are not alone and we are ALL going through this WITH you. Stay strong and we wish you all the best in this fight. With love. Susan and Kevin

Unknown said...

It's amazing how parenting can change you as a teacher...enjoy...it's a win-win situation! And, remind Bill about that camera.

Anonymous said...

Hello Bill and Jackie!

Mike just got in touch with me today to tell me about Bill's diagnosis. I am SO sorry to hear about what you guys are going through. It is obvious, looking at this blog, that you guys are so incredibly loved and supported. I know that that can make such a difference!!

I wanted to let you both know that you will be constantly in my thoughts and prayers and I will keep checking the blog to stay updated and in touch. Is there anything I can do??? I feel pretty helpless down here just typing. :-) I will continuously send you all the positive thoughts and prayers that I can. Hang in there!!

Much love,
Lori Buley (a.k.a. 'Prom Date '85')

Team Rhone said...

Jackie,
Your blog brought tears to my eyes! I cannot believe Tyler is that big! (and that you are THAT mom!!!) Has time passed that quickly? Wait until he is in college! I would love to be embroidering Jordan's name on all her stuff and sending her to pre-school! Thanks for being the soft place for her to land for those 2 years, I knew she was in good hands and she was loved when I left her in your classroom! Give Bill big hugs and kisses from us all! We pray everyday...and will continue.
Leslie