Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Credit Where Credit is Due

I will be the first to admit that the blog idea was not my own, but one I borrowed from a relative. My dad's cousin (Chuck Shin, who commented on the previous post) is the pioneer of blogs and quite frankly, my "blogging" idol. He started a blog on a website called Care Pages on his journey with his son, Robbie. Robbie was an amazing young man who was born with a heart defect and got a transplant as a baby. I can remember seeing his baby picture on the news when Chuck was an Orange County Sheriff while they were looking/waiting for a new heart. I know I will mix up the details, so I am going to jump way ahead. This amazing boy lost his battle with cancer (after a 2nd successful heart transplant, I believe) at the young age of 15. Chuck kept a Care Pages blog that was updated daily with Robbie's prognosis, thoughts, feelings, and general information about their lives and his illness. I honestly felt like I was sitting in the same room when I read the posts. They were detailed, funny, and so very REAL. My apologies go out to Chuck for comparing my blog to his, because his was a true work of art. His words were articulate, touching, and motivational. I would get to work every morning and immediately check the blog to read about Robbie's night. Some mornings I'd sit at my computer and cry, and other times I'd laugh out loud at his witty and amusing stories. Again, my apologies to Chuck for the weak comparison, because I am no where near his blogging abilities, but I feel it necessary to give credit where credit is due. I don't know if anyone has ever dedicated a blog to someone, but Robbie, if you are listening, this one is for you! Thank you for the inspiration!

3 comments:

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

Great story!

I love how in times like these, people come to realize that helping each other is what life is truly all about.

Sure puts things into perspective!

BTW, welcome to the blogosphere!

Love,
Toots

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill, Jackie and all the friends and family, we are just checking in from the other side of the country. We are thinking about you Bill and looking forward to hearing about your recovery! You are all in our prayers.
Much Love,
Chris and Susan

Anonymous said...

OMG, What and emotional and touching story, We are glad to hear the news from the City of Hope, we will continue to pray for you all everyday and look forward to getting the good news when the trial works...Always stay positive!! You are amazing people! and Happy Birthday to the little man! Love, Julie and Lenny