Thursday, September 11, 2008

3 Days to Go!

We really just have to get through the weekend, and then we are off to HOPE! I pray this is not an "introductory" appointment, but a planning one. I'd be thrilled if we have to return the very next day for his first treatment.

I finished the Lance Armstrong book and had 2 "a-ha" moments in the last section of the book. *Disclaimer - if you are the president of Lance's fan club please don't read moment #1... skip directly to moment #2.*

Moment #1 - Lance wrote the book before his divorce from his wife, Kristen. He speaks of her in such high regard and points out how she was meant to be his partner for life... well, we all know how that story ends. I don't fault him for getting divorced (hey, it happens), but I struggled reading about their relationship and believing the things he said, knowing full well they divorced shortly after he wrote it. I think that was a huge hang-up for me to accept, that and the fact that I love Sheryl Crow and don't think he should have ended it with her, either. *Stepping off soapbox...*

Moment #2 - Lance taught me a huge lesson! He was truly his own advocate for his health. He took the bulls by the horn and didn't take "no" for an answer. He researched, read, and prepared himself for the hardest fight of his life. We are quite aware of advocates in the education realm. The bottom line is, if you don't fight for yourself (or your spouse, or your child), no one else will. The patient is the customer, you have a right to get the services you seek. I admire that in Lance Armstrong's journey, and will take away a very important life lesson.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Three more days to Hope....that's great! Peace, faith, hope to both of you.

Jackie, I'm glad Bill has you as an advocate and you are right about every patient needing one. I know you will need to see many doctors, nurses, technicians and go through many more tests and questions and paperwork, but Monday is the start of the healing! Hurray!

Now about Lance....that attitude of his is probably what makes him able to ride a bike the way he does, he just kills it. How many Tour de France did he win? That same attitude (sorry if I called him arrogant last time)I'm sure must have helped him get through his cancer treatment. He just kills it! One pretty strong guy. And,wasn't Sheryl Crow diagnosed with breast cancer? She was a teacher too, right?

I hope you all get some rest this weekend and I'll be thinking of you.

Love,

Aunt Sue

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

"The patient is the customer, you have a right to get the services you seek."

I could not agree more!!

Sometimes it helps to be a little aggressive when dealing with the medical community.

With a pinch of tact!

Let me know if you have any questions as you go thru all this.

Good luck!

Toots