Thursday, September 18, 2008

Next Appointment at HOPE

When we went to City of Hope on Monday, and they told us of this trial we were given pages and pages of paperwork to look over. Given that this was our only option of treatment, I was ready to stay and sign right then and there, despite the confused look the doctor gave me. Bill wanted to go home and read the paperwork before he signed on the dotted line. I couldn't argue with him, since he IS the actual patient, and since it's his body I guess he should have a say. On the way home I read the entire "novel" about the trial and even read some pieces aloud so Bill could get the gist of it. The very next day Bill called back and to make the next appointment. Surprisingly, he got an appointment for Thursday (today), but it was cancelled. (Nothing shocks us anymore.) They told him that they are adding a new drug to the trial and the hospital's IRB Board needs to approve it, but they only meet on Tuesdays. Go figure... So now, his paper signing, blood work, and possible CT scan are next Thursday, September 25th. The doctor only does clinics on Mondays and Thursdays, so I'm betting that those are his treatment days. I'm thinking of putting a sign-up on the front door for drivers to and from the hospital - just kidding, you will have to fight me (and Joe and Ann) for it!

6 comments:

Susan and Kevin said...

Hello again Jackie and Bill,
I am so glad that Bill will be starting treatment soon. We are all praying on this end that this treatment is EVERYTHING the doctors are hoping for and more. I know we are getting closer everyday to a cancer cure and we hope and pray that not only this one is it, but that Bill is one of the "miracle" cases that continues to thrive and beat cancer. Our prayers are with you. Looking forward to seeing you all on Sunday. Please take care.
Sincerely,
Susan and Kevin

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

wow that is crazy jackie that they cancelled the appointment. ((HUGS))

~Becks from DOOPS

Char said...

I'm so anxious for Bill to start his treatment plan. I just can't imagine how you're feeling.
Keep up the awesome blog, I look forward to the times when I can read it.

***In my thoughts***,
Char

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

Jak and Bill,
I would suggest finding out if the approval of the IRB board re: this new drug will dictate the need for a new patient consent form, making the one you guys signed not applicable.

That would be my guess.

This can be a time consuming process depending...

I would suggest asking what are all the implications of this new drug.

Both in paper work, time and reason why they want to include a new drug.

Then you guys can have a better understanding for decisions to be made.

Welcome to research. Once you are enrolled in the study, this kind of thing won't keep happening. Or at least won't affect you guys.

Good luck,
Toots

Anonymous said...

Dear Bill,
I am a 1977 graduate of Bishop Amat. I was their Alumni Relations Coordinator for a time. I saw your story on the Amat website and wanted to let you know that I am praying for you. I have shared your story with my husband Jim '75 and daughter Katie '07, and they too will remember you in their prayers. God bless and heal you.
Marie La Bouff

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on the blogs and so happy to read that you are getting some treatment drugs soon. (they just need to stop cancelling!). Like you said about your relative and his blogs, I also feel like I am right there with you all and am so thankful that you are taking the time to keep us filled in. I am thinking of you all and praying for you.
Marla