Monday, September 15, 2008

Our Appointment

Well, we are home from our adventure. Hang onto your hat... here it goes!

We arrived early (no big shock there) and went through about an hour of check-in with some of the nicest people we have encountered on this journey. I know they are trained to deal with people with serious issues, but they know how to treat the "customer".

THE PLAN:
The City of Hope, gave us just that - HOPE. They have a clinical trial that he will start within the next 2 weeks. First, he needs to have some blood work done and another CT scan to form a baseline. The trial is not chemotherapy, but other strong drugs that are often used to treat kidney cancer. There are 2 arms to the trial and it is a coin toss which route he will take. One has an oral drug and an IV drug, and the other has 2 oral drugs. Although the cancer is not curable, it is treatable by way of this trial. Right now we are praying that this trial not only shrinks the tumor, but keeps anything else at bay. The doctor also reiterated that with this type of aggressive cancer (the tumor doubles in size every 2-3 months) even if it stops growing, and doesn't shrink, it is considered a success. He'll do 2 cycles, 28 days each, and then have another CT scan to see the progress.

It was a positive day, and we have been refilled with hope. It helps to have a refill once and awhile... and this one was definitely needed. Thank you for all your well-wishes and support. We couldn't fight this battle alone. Just like it takes a village to raise a child, it takes that same village to fight cancer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie, God bless you. Bill made a wonderful choice when he committed to you. When you got back from the hospital this afternoon and explained the days events I was numb. Of all people I should have been the rock, goes to show we are all human. You and Bill lifted me up. Your attitude and strength dealing with the coming events is an inspiration. I don't know why this is easier said on this format than to you directly, probably because we both would turn to mush. Thank you so much for taking care of my son, I love you and will do anything you need anytime. Our family is much stronger and closer, also bigger as I read everyones comments, it means so much to have such great friends.
I love you all so much! Dad

Gene and Susie said...

Our prayers continue to be with you, Bill, Tyler, Joe, Anne, and the rest of the family. You may not know us, we know you and love you.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I am so happy to hear that you finally got to the "appointment" and that on the first day some business was actually done!!!! I have been thinking about you and look foward to reading your blog each day. I have had you and your husband in my prayers and can only imagine the emotional ups and downs that you have been experiencing. Please know that this "bunco" girl is here if you need me.

Anonymous said...

WE ARE ALL STANDING UP WITH YOU IN THIS FIGHT LOVE YOU ALL

Anonymous said...

Bill,
When I read about today I have mixed emotions. I am glad to hear that they have a treatment that can give us all HOPE. But, on the other hand I wish I could just wave a wand and make it all go away. We love you, we think about you every day. We pray for your strength as you face this and for the Peace of God in your heart as you do, and we Thank God for Jackie

Dorothy Morgan

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

So glad to hear things are finally moving along!

It can give one a sense of control again.

At least some control.

Hang in there!

Taking it one day at a time is all that is needed.

Love,
Toots