Friday, October 17, 2008

The Weekend

Aunt Judy and Adam made it here safely and it has been refreshing to see them. To see Bill's spirits lifted is worth a million dollars. We went to dinner tonight and the first thing out of Bill's mouth when we got in the car was, "I love my aunt!" I am just thrilled to see him so excited about something... OK, he is pretty excited about Adam being here too. They are currently in the backyard finishing off a few beers. Bill hasn't had any alcohol in a long time, so this should be interesting. It has been so healthy for him to talk to Adam about all of this since he is a cancer survivor himself. You just never know what life will bring. I know if He brings to it, He'll bring you through it... but sometimes it's easy to forget. I work hard each and everyday to remember that it is all a part of His big plan.

We will be off to the City of Hope at the crack of dawn Monday morning. They said (depending on the leg he is assigned) we could be there until 6 pm. The past week has been very painful... I mean that literally. Bill said he can feel the tumor in his groin quite a bit and his hips hurt when he lies down, making it difficult for him to get comfortable. The fluid in his stomach is also expanding things and makes eating (and keeping things down) quite difficult. Now that he has fluid in both lungs, his breathing is pretty laborious also making movement of any kind a struggle. I keep telling him to take the pain meds, but he tries to resist taking them to avoid the drowsiness. It's all about the quality of life... I say, take the meds!! I never thought I'd be such a drug pusher. Go figure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last thing I do at night is read your blog. Thank you for sharing what you are going thru. I hope this is an outlet for you. I am sorry for all your family is going thru. Life is so not fair.
Monday is finally the big day. You must be counting down the hours. You are juggling so many things on an already full plate.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog via Bishop Amat's website. My name is Kathy and I was in Bill's 1985 graduating class. I am so sorry that your family is taking this unexpected journey. I can tell that you are a family that did not need a lesson in how to be close. However, I know you will emerge stonger and even closer.
In 2004, my son at the age of 12 was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare type of childhood cancer. He was successfully treated at the wonderful City of Hope. I have lots to share and maybe we can talk sometime. Have faith and know you have lots of good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Anonymous said...

Hey Family! We made it to Chico in 7 hours and I made it home to French Gulch in 8 1/2! Traffic was much better than it was Thursday. Had a couple CHP alerts but Adam managed to keep it at 85 most of the way. I only had to grab the arm rest a couple times coming home. 8-)
I can't tell you how wonderful it was to be with ALL of you, especially my Bill... You are amazing, Bill! Your wit and gentleness and love of family will bring you through this bummy journey. It goes without saying that we're all here for you.
Thank you all (Jac, Tyler, Bill, Joe, Ann, Shari, Kelsey)for the great weekend.
May tomorrow morning come quickly and may all these prayers bring you that miracle.
I love you so very much!
Aunt Judy