Monday, October 20, 2008

Today's Happenings

What a day we had! We were prepared to be there from sun up until sun down, but luckily we were gone by noon. I am thrilled to report that things actually went as planned today (if not better), and the City of Hope followed through on everything they promised, without cancellation.

He is on the leg with pills only, so that alone saves loads of driving time and gas money. He will have to go back weekly for the first month, bi-weekly the second, and only once during the third and consecutive months. He took his first dose tonight, so time will tell how the drugs make him feel.

We got the CT scan results today from his test last week. The mass in his groin has grown (we knew that) and the fluid in his lungs and stomach has increased (also not a shock). The surprise of the day (besides things going as planned) was that he has new lymph node growths in his chest and abdomen area. They are still smaller than half an inch, but the doctor said she was over 50% sure they were cancerous. The good part is that it doesn't really matter... the treatment and diagnosis hasn't changed. Once it has spread, it becomes systemic and they will treat the entire body, regardless of the cancer's location. We were taken aback by this news that things have spread so rapidly. It has been about 10 weeks since the diagnosis, so I guess we shouldn't be so surprised by this. On one hand I feel like we just found out yesterday, and on the other hand time has crawled and it seems like an eternity has passed. I will post soon how the drugs are treating us... um, I mean him. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that your day today was shorter than you counted on! And that is great that you had a nice family weekend - I have a favorite Aunt that means the world to me. It is so nice when your family can be friends too!
I hope Bill reacts well to the new drugs.
All my love-
Dot

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

So glad to hear treatment has finally started!

Boy, what a slow process!

Good luck to you all!!

Anonymous said...

I hope Bill is not in too much pain and the treatments go well. My prayers are with you every day.
XOXO