Sunday, October 5, 2008

Strength?

The question I get most frequently is, "How do you do it?" The best answer to that is... I don't know. I wish I had a magic secret that allowed me to be super woman without stumbling on my face, but I am finding there is no such thing. I don't know HOW I do it, but I do know that I don't have a choice. Not to steal Nike's slogan, but you "just do it." There isn't time to think about life when you have 500 things going on, maybe that is the secret to not falling apart every minute of every day. Sometimes I feel like my strength is all an illusion. If I appear to have it together, then maybe things will fall into place. I find if you force yourself to smile and pretend to be happy then it actually becomes true, and you are what you portray. I suppose that could be good or bad... I *think* I am a happy person by nature, so being miserable all the time and feeling sorry for myself just isn't who I am or who I want to be.

When we were at the City of Hope last Thursday I saw a mother pushing her son in a stroller. He was around 4 or 5 and in a normal circumstance, too big for the stroller he was in. He didn't have any hair from chemo, he had bruises on his legs, he was thin, and he was missing an arm. I looked at that mother and thought, "Now THAT is strength." You do what is necessary for your family at any given moment... thankfully, adding a little faith, hope, love, and prayer to the equation makes life easier when you put it in His hands.

5 comments:

Susan and Kevin said...

Jackie,
Some of your comments and insights are too poignant to even reply to. It is kind of like leaving church when the priest or pastor has just given a sermon which is deeply moving and everyone walks out silent and respectfully reflective. If at times you don't get comments back... I believe that is the reason why.
We are with you on this journey.
Susan

Unknown said...

Dear Jackie,
Susan couldn't have put it better...you're thoughts give us all so much for our own reflection. I'm thinking now of all the lives you touch via this blog and know it makes a difference in how we'll approach each day.
Keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers. Give a hug to Bill and Tyler.
Love, Mary

Anonymous said...

Dear Jackie,
What you are doing is what we all need to do, but it is O.K.to not be up all the time, just take them as they come,(your emotions). I have been through this situation with a very close friend, we came to relize that each day that went by was our life, there were no "go backs" or "do overs. The good days,such as you guys had when you went to the appointment, are to be cherished, and the not so good days, are just that. None of us really know what tomorrow will bring. We always have the hope and expectation that tomorrow will be a "Good Day". But, if it is not, we can ask God for his peace and strength to uphold us as we go though it. I pray today is a good day.
Dorothy Morgan

Anonymous said...

JAC,

YOU DO IT BECAUSE OF THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR TYLER AND BILL

SO PROUD OF YOU
ALL MY LOVE

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

Great post and insight!