Monday, October 27, 2008

New News

Interesting happenings at the doctor today. I stayed and worked, but our neighbor, Bryan sacrificed his sleep and drove Bill at the crack of dawn. I sent Bill with a list of questions, but I forgot about the "male factor" involved with men relaying information. It was pulling teeth to get the basics out if him. I will not be skipping any more easy appointments in order to keep communication and eliminate the middle man... no pun intended.

Thankfully, Bill did accurately portray the severity of the fatigue. My estimated guess is that he was sleeping 20-22 hours a day. The doctor took him off the treatment medications... yes, you read that correctly, OFF the meds until Thursday. The only way they can determine if the pills are causing the fatigue is to compare life without them. If it is the treatment, then the dose will be decreased. My thoughts --- **Who cares if he is sleeping most of the day, does that matter for treatment? If a patient has a rough time on chemo, you rarely hear of a doctor halting treatment because of some regular side effects. It's par for the course, stick with the drugs!** I am struggling to accept the fact the he is stopping for a few days. He seems fine with it, so I guess I should let it go, but it just doesn't sit well with me. The other news at the appointment was that he has lost 9 pounds in the last week!! Again, not a typo, NINE POUNDS!! I have done everything except chew his food to try to get him to eat something, to no avail. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Gene and Susie said...

Homemade cinnamon rolls? Chocolate chip cookies? Chocolate popcorn? Anything sound good? I'll make it for him!!!

Mike and Kelly G said...

Jackie,
Do you even know how much you make people reading your blog chuckle? The part about you practically having to chew Billy's food was classic. I sure hope you find some therapy in this blog, I know I do.
Take Care!
Kelly