Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Today's Appointment

Our appointment today was very informative, yet I could see Bill was uneasy. First things first... the brain scan was for sure normal, he confirmed that. The fluid in his lung came back "suggestive" but not "diagnostic" for melanoma. I don't know exactly what that means, and I don't want to start making assumptions, but it did not come back negative. My (uneducated) guess would be that it either is or will be eventually, in the lung. The doctor also said the cancer is causing the fluid in there. Since it is metastatic (spread) they will still treat systemically (the whole body), so that doesn't really change treatment. He wanted to biopsy the mass in his groin before going to the City of Hope. Bill showed some anxiety over that, especially after the whole lung draining incident, so he decided to bypass that and just put an assumption in the report that it IS in fact cancer caused by melanoma.

The doctor said we need to get to the City of Hope (probably next week, or the following week) and research being part of a study. They could possibly have something with strong/hard/intense treatment that would act faster then regular chemo. OR... they may say do "X,Y, and Z" and give our current oncologist the formula for his treatment. OR... they may have a different idea that we don't know about yet. So, long story short - we still don't know have an exact treatment plan yet. That is when Bill's frustration set in. He is so tired of waiting (as am I) and just wants to get started. The doctor completely understood and said that he would rather him wait an extra week to get the best treatment, instead of rushing into something that could disqualify him for a study. Some studies have requirements that the patient hasn't received any "cancer drugs" for 3 months prior to applying for a special program. Ugh! Sorry for the dry medical post today.

11 comments:

Susan said...

Hang in there guys. I know the waiting must be difficult beyond words. Everyone wants the best treatment possible for Bill and it sounds like your doctor is trying to make sure things go the best way possible for you. Lots of love to all three of you.
Aunt Sue

Unknown said...

Bill, Jackie, and Tyler,

Thank you for all your efforts keeping us informed about Bill's condition. You and your family are continuously in our thoughts and prayers. May you all rest back in God's arms as He heals you.

Love to you and to our friends Joe and Ann,
Bob and Sharon Altman

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

LIVE STRONG!

:-)

Love,
Toots

Anonymous said...

Amazing things happen to amazing people and you guys qualify. I know you are both strong people and will get through this...plus, you have many prayers out there asking for "The Big Guy's" support. LOL

Anonymous said...

Jackie- you are both so strong. You have so many people thinking and praying for you right now. Just keep staying strong and keep educating yourself as much as possible.

Mike and Kelly G said...

We love you guys and we are praying for you. Praying for strength, comfort and the will to beat this.
"I can do all things in Him who strengthens me"
~Philippians 4:13

Anonymous said...

Joe B.

Bill, the Dr. is right, going in with no prior treatments opens many more oppertunities for treatment. I know what you must be going through, you want it started yesterday. Hang, I know your strong, we will beat this.
I'll be home on the 3rd.
Love You. Dad

Gretchen Gates said...

Jackie and Bill,
I received your blog account from Nyra today, and I was stunned. I did not know about the Bill's diagnosis and what you both have been going through. I am sure you heard that I am also going through chemo treatments right now for uterian cancer. Please use me as a resource for questions, advice, anything.....My family and I have been doing a lot of research the last 6 months. Please call 714-928-3178 or e-mail.
Gretchen Gates

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

Jak and Bill,
Gretchen Gates' offer was VERY generous and kind. I highly recommend you take her up on her offer. She will have an insight that only someone with her history will be able to provide.

As much as she may be able to help from a medical perspective, I would think her feedback from a "human" perspective will be the most valuable.

Ultimately, none of the rest of us can truly relate to what you all are going thru.

Gretchen can!

Extremely valuable stuff!

We all thank you Gretchen for offering your very generous help and insight to the Bartaks!

Love,
Toots

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new info, while I know that it is frustrating waiting, hang in there, your dr is right, you only deserve the best! Love, Julie

ReedFamily said...

Hi Billy, I hope I get this comment thing right and don't chunk it like most of the things I do with a computer? Kathy does all the talking/typeing for our family and has total control of Joeys carepage/blog too. Oh well anyhoo...Wow!!! I can't believe what I'm reading about you and all that your whole family is going through. I swear it reminds me so much of where we were as a family 1 1/2 years ago with Joey. Like we have talked about you are headed up to the best hospital in the world next week and I know you will see all the miricles that are hapening for so many and are waiting for you. I can't wait for you to get this healing thing going and I will look for you at the city of Hope this Tuesday if your there? We have you all in our hearts and know god will watch over all of you through this journey. One day at a time is what has helped our family and I wish for you all a wonderful day of Hope tomorrow and the next and the next....Brett