Sunday, August 24, 2008

Test Results!!

We are home! It is kind of bitter-sweet though, since the beach was a nice escape. I actually forgot about things for a few minutes, and I think Bill did too. We played on the beach, ate, played cards, ate, sat around, ate... you get the gist. We had an absolute blast! It was just what the doctor ordered... no pun intended.

When we got home and got the mail, I instantly saw he had a few envelopes from his doctor's office. I assumed they were test results, and I honestly wasn't sure I was ready for them. We were still on a high from the beach and I wasn't ready for it to end. Well, here we go...

The brain scan from last week came back NORMAL and his doctor even wrote a little note, "Looks Good!" and a happy face. The PET scan is only showing the cancer in the groin. I am (obviously) not a doctor, but I did notice it said "metabolically active" and "aggressive" when describing the mass. It is 7.7cm X 5.7cm. You all know I busted out the ruler when I saw that. He comments now that he can feel it and sometimes it is sore and causes pain. No wonder, it's pretty big. The only results we don't have are the tests from the fluid they drained from his lung. We will see the oncologist Tuesday afternoon to formally go over everything.

I officially go back to work tomorrow. I am excited to be busy again in a world that doesn't revolve around cancer. I am much more comfortable talking about everything now. It took me a few weeks to be able to get the words out without choking up. I actually am able to talk about it easily and somehow can separate the emotion from the facts of the diagnosis. Now, if I sit down and think about the road that is in front of us, ugh, I'm a mess. It's a helpless feeling seeing someone you love so much hurting so desperately. The only thing I can do is love him with everything I have, and pray for his strength to fight!

9 comments:

Team Rhone said...

I am post challenged! We tried to post a comment and it didn't show up so we are trying again! We were so glad to hear Bill's MRI results were good! Jackie, Jordan and I would both love to do absolutely ANYTHING you need done to prepare for school! Let us know...you know where to find us. Please give Bill a big hug from all of us!
Love, The Rhone's

Anonymous said...

JAC, BILL AND TYLER

I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR ABOUT ALL YOUR FUN AND ALL THE EATING MAKES ME FEEL GOOD TO HEAR THE GOOD NEWS ALSO. YOU ARE ALL IN MY HEART AND PRAYERS AND IF THERE IS ANYTHING THAT THE 3 OF YOU NEED IM JUST A CALL AWAY.

ALL MY LOVE

DAD

Anonymous said...

Hi Kids...I am so happy to hear the good news about Bill's brain MRI and that you all had a terrific time at the beach. The sea air is so special and actually healing. Jackie...you are a very good communicator and writer...perhaps you could be an author and write a book someday.
My prayers are with you. XO

Mike and Kelly G said...

Hi Billy and Jackie,
We're so glad to hear that you all had a terrific time at the beach. We've been checking the blog all weekend while we were up in Visalia, not so much for information on results but it lets us feel like we're riding this emotional coaster with you all. We've laughed, we've cried and we keep coming back for more. Phone calls can make everything 'seem' ok but your blog helps us feel the good and the not-so-good.
Again, we're so happy you were able to find some peace in the couple of days you were away.
As always, our love and prayers are with you.
Kelly and Mike

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

Good to hear about the brain scan! And the PET scan being localized to only the groin is obviously good too!

:-)

One should relish the positive and be ever so determined to overcome the not so positive.

From the looks of this blog, there is obviously lots of love and support in the Bartak family's corner.

Love,
Toots

Susan said...

Hi Jackie and Bill,

I'm so happy to hear that you had a good weekend and happier still to hear that the brain scan came back normal! Ah, yes, to have a normal brain! :-)

Jackie, I hope you are not too tired after your first day back but glad that you have something to fill your time and thoughts other than the rough road you both are on now.

I will be sending all good thoughts and prayers your way.

Love,

Aunt Sue

Unknown said...

Hi Bartaks,
Glad to hear you all had such a great get away this weekend. The beach is always such a peaceful, magical place for our family... a great way to make memories.
JAC, I hope your work wasn't too crazy today. It's always hard to get back in the swing of things in the classroom for me.Be sure to take care of yourself and don't push too much.
Love to all of you,
Mary & the SB crew

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

you are such an inspiration. i'm praying for you guys and praise God that his brain scan was normal!

~Becky from DOOPs

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you all had fun! So happy to hear the brain scan came back good...you are strong, amazing people and you will both get through this with courage, faith and love. Love Julie and Lenny