Monday, August 25, 2008

Heinz 57... A Variety

Well, my first day is over and summer is officially gone! I pretty much spent the day getting hug after hug from everyone. It was awesome!! To instantly feel supported and know that I have so many shoulders to cry on is unreal. The best part is that I know I have a slew of people I can find to talk about things, or most importantly, NOT talk about things.

Tyler did really well on my first day back. No surprise there since my mom was here. He usually has a little adjustment period after summer is over. She and Ron took him to Ruby's for lunch (their usual place), and he later divulged he got to have diet cherry coke. He hasn't quite mastered the art of not telling mom and dad what grandma and grandpa let him do. We tease him that he is going to have to work for Greyhound, since he throws them under the bus every chance he gets! Preschool starts a week from tomorrow - THAT will be the real test!

Tomorrow we head to the oncologist (in Irvine) for our last appointment before the City of Hope. We are hoping they make the appointment for us and send all of the paperwork over. I am definitely learning a lot about how all of this works. Even if I do all our homework on this end, things still get delayed. I was talking to a Director at the district office (a suit on the hill, as we like to call them) and he gave me great advice. He said, "Bill's job is to get better and fight, your job is to push paper, make appointments, and get all the forms organized." So true! At least I can do something to not feel so helpless. Bill finally said tonight that he was over this "working" thing. Thank goodness! He is SO tired after he gets home that it is not worth spending every ounce of "good" energy he has on work, instead of our 3 year old. Tyler deserves to have that energy, not Starbucks! Sorry, just my $.02 worth...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Joe B.

Good morning Jackie, I'll defiantly remember not to trust Tyler (Mr. voice recorder) with any secret information. I know when I say "now don't tell Mom" his eyes lite up and he's ready to squeal on me.
Recovery can be a full time job also, trick is to stay busy. I sure miss you guys, I'll keep you posted from here on the girls adventures. ND was awesome, what a campus, sorry USC fans but this place was special.
First game is tonight at 1700 hrs. keep your fingers crossed.
Papa Joe

Gene and Susie said...

Hi, Bartaks. Our love, prayers and thoughts are with you continually. We appreciate Joe keeping us updated!!

Anonymous said...

"Live strong is exactly I guess what it says.It’s one thing to live, but it’s another thing to live strong, to attack the day and attack your life with a whole new attitude. This was a gift for me.I guess before the illness I just lived. Now, after the illness, I live strong." LANCE ARMSTRONG