Friday, August 29, 2008

The Last Day

Today was the last day! It didn't come soon enough. He left early the last 2 days, but stuck it out for the week. We went and picked up his slides of the lymph node that was removed, and we both assumed that we were picking up "slides" of pictures... nope! They are 11 slides of the lymph node sliced ultra thin and dyed different colors. They are kind of interesting to see. Not at all what we expected - then again, none of this is what we expected! Now we have everything we need to go to the City of Hope, except the actual appointment. We will try calling tomorrow, but will probably have to wait until Tuesday. At least he doesn't have work to worry about.

I got a book FedExed to me today from a dear childhood friend. Although we don't talk very often, we keep in contact through our mom's, who never stop talking. :) It's called The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. Most of you have probably heard of it, as he was recently in the news at the end of July when he lost his life to pancreatic cancer. I have just barely started the book and am anxious to get back to it. It is not a sob story about being ill with cancer, but a life story about living everyday to the fullest (because you just never know) and living out your childhood dreams. I am already so inspired by it, and I'm only on page 34. It is a quick read that I highly recommend!

8 comments:

The Fu2rman said...

J & B,

I'm so glad you are going to have time together to beat this. What a nuisance work could have been for you Bill.

Anyway, hope to see you on Monday.

Jackie, I'm hoping to bring Scott, he is in town from Texas. He really wants to meet my nephew, and I guess he wouldn't mind seeing you again, and meeting your husband...JK!

I gave him a link to your blog, and he was sending me texts from his grandfather's house while reading it, and I think he has read the whole thing.

You are MY little sister, but I can tell, he thinks of you as his little sister as well...

The Mosh Pit at the PIL concert came to mind, what were you, 14? Who let you go to see Johnny Rotten, of the Sex Pistols as a 14 year old?

You and Scott sold me and Mom and Dad on that one...

Whatever!

We'll see you Monday!

Toots and Claude Renspak said...

I just had dinner with a friend who has already had her remission party.

:-)

And she highly recommended the "The Last Lecture" as well. I had never heard of the book but it sounded awesome.

It struck me that it could be applicable to all people.


I did find this link on You Tube. If you haven't already, you guys might want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=ji5_MqicxSo&eurl=http://
download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/

Anonymous said...

Jackie and Bill,
Sorry I havn't posted but the first time I wrote and signed in, I some how lost the comment AND password. So I hope I can get this one out. For me it's just faster to pick up the phone.
It's so nice to read how many people care! But what is this about you, Scott, and Todd and a Mosh Pit? Who are those groups and whats a Mosh Pit? Or do I really NOT want to know?
Any way, we'll see you Sunday, drop off day and Monday for brunch.
Love,
Mom Cathy

Susan said...

Hi Guys,

Bill, I'm happy that you will be able to take some time off before you start treatment to eat and rest and gather your strength.

Randy Pausch's book is good and a great lesson for us all. Lance Armstrong's book is good too even if he is a little bit of an arrogant fellow. Probably what makes him such a good athlete.

Cathy, you most likely don't want to know about the mosh pit and Todd, what makes me think that you had something to do with that?!

Peace and love to you,

Aunt Sue

David said...

Hey Guys!

have a great time in Newport Beach. You two deserve it, just before a tough week, months or a year comes up especially for you Bill. I have known you for such a short time, yet I know deep down YOU are a fighter, and I can see you NEVER GIVE UP. I have heard so many things about Randy Pausch, may he rest in peace. I think Bill CAN and WILL apply what Randy had said and use it for good and FIGHT ON!

ok enough mushy stuff. On what Fu2rman said, I remember one concert he and I went to in Santa Monica it was Portishead, ah good times.

FIGHT ON BILL--and to the Trojans of Troy! ;-)

Anonymous said...

"I think a lot of people just want their lives to be smooth all the time and that would be nice, I suppose. But this makes you live. Really, I’m not living with a disease. I’m living with life, what life is really about. I think we get lost, and we think that life has to be about work, pleasant things, new restaurants, and new clothes. But you know what? Life is about relationships."

I’m Lisa Jones, and I’m a kidney cancer survivor.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill, Jac, &b Tyler, seems like forever since I had a chance to see you guys. Well the last game here in Chicago is over and we won 2 to 1, the girls are getting on the plane in a few hours for their trip home, wish I was with them. I have to wait till 3: 30 Monday and than another 42 houre ride home, what was I thinking. That has to bring a smile to your face's.
Enjoy your weekend, Ill be thinking of you.
Love you: Dad

Anonymous said...

I have read The Last Lecture, powerful thoughts on life and love of family and friends. A must read for everyone. I would like to believe that the book will give Billy the reason to share his wonderful laugh with everyone everyday....Love you Billy
Hugs, Silvia