Monday, April 27, 2009

Still Recovering

We are still recuperating from Saturday's bash. Tyler can't stop talking about it, and wants live every weekend with a bounce house and hundreds of people. We are all attempting to catch up on sleep, and some are better at it than others. I definitely take last place in the sleep race.

Bill is sore and tired to say the least. Before the party started, he had a little fall in the backyard while playing the Corn Hole game. He landed on his shoulder and scraped his knee trying to catch himself. So that is one more thing that needs healing and has added to his soreness.

I try to avoid writing about this topic, but I am still sickened by it and need to get it on "paper"... virtually speaking. About a week ago, we found out that Starbucks laid him off. It was quite a blow and unexpected. He was on short-term disability for six months, then had to resubmit paperwork (which is mountainous) in order to get long-term disability. Well, the doctors fell short in completing and returning the forms in a timely manner, and there was a gap between disabilities, giving Starbucks the opportunity to lay him off. I will be spending this week trying to sort things out and get disabiltiy insurance forms in order, since Starbucks claims it shouldn't affect his allottment. I'm still so new to all of this, that I haven't figured out the ins and outs of the system... to be honest, I don't know if I ever want to figure it out!

5 comments:

NL said...

Hi Jackie, If you need any help or someone to review, polices, paperwork, etc...let me know. In my prior life as a Human Resources Director this was pretty routine stuff for me. I'll be at school on Wed. Love, Nancy

daune abadie said...

Should we all ban Starbucks...that's terrible!!

TEAM HOGAN said...

I always knew Starbucks was the Evil Empire!!

I am coming up your way this weekend to pick up something from my jeweler who lives in Corona. I'll let you know before I do :)

Anna Hogan

Tamie said...

Jackie,

Doug had some ideas about this, knowing the corportate world as he does. He thinks Bill is still covered and his allotment shouldn't change whether he is an employee or laid off. Starbucks' insurance company was already paying for his short term disability and will pay for his longterm as well. Doug's take on this is that they didn't lay him off because they saw the opportunity, but that Bill was on the list for the next round of lay offs with him being a fairly new employee. I don't know if this gives you some relief or a different take on the situation, but I don't believe it will affect what you've been getting at all. Let me know if I can help or if Doug needs to call his good friend at Starbucks corporate offices to
clarify anything for you.
Hugs, Tamie

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't know Bill even worked for Starbucks! When did he get that job? That is too bad.