Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Good with the Bad

And the pendulum swings...
Yesterday was a great day with amazing news, and then around six last night Bill became really sick. Really sick! He vomited seven times in an hour and a half, and had diarrhea in between. He thinks he maybe had a bout with food poisoning, I think he had a bout with a beast called, cancer. I was on the phone with nurse triage line from the City of Hope trying to see what I could do. Her first advice was to put a cold wash cloth on his head... in other words, there wasn't much I could do. She called his doctor and they called in a prescription that he could take under his tongue, so it would stay down. He couldn't take pain medication during the fiasco because water even came back up. He was literally writhing in pain and couldn't lie down comfortably, so he was sitting, standing, rolling, curling up in a ball, etc. It was quite acrobatic. By this time it was eight and I was keeping Tyler awake in the event that I would have to take him to Target to get a prescription filled. A wired child is better than a crying one. Thankfully, Debbie (from my school) and I were texting and she offered to run and get the meds so Bill wouldn't be alone. I am ever so grateful! That was a huge relief and saved my mental stamina. Once he took the pill, the nauseousness was gone, but the pain was still there. At least he could take his pain pills which helped a little. The Ambien I gave him at least let him get some rest last night. As for me... well, that's a different story.

3 comments:

NL said...

Jackie,

I just returned from San Diego and am thrilled (to say the least) at the good news about Bill's brian and the decrease in tumor size!!! I had a great time in San Diego with my cousins but had both you and BIll in the back of my mind the entire time I was there. The first thing I did when I got home was log on to your blog. the clear scan on the brain is fabulous, but begs the question, what is causing his forgetfulness? Any clue?

Please let Bill know how happy we are!! Can't wait for the party on the 25th! Nancy

TEAM HOGAN said...

Jackie,

This melanoma stuff is a WILD ride. I can totally relate to your post about the good with the bad. I forget what pill we got that dissolved under the tongue but it worked WONDERS so keep that on-hand!

And with regards to your sleep, do your best! Its important for the caretaker to stay as healthy as possible!

A Hogan

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that the tumor size and the brain scan! sounds like all is better on the sickness side so that is a good thing as well! Just wanted to say Hi and as always, thinking of you all everyday! Love Julie and Lenny