Sunday, April 19, 2009

Forgiveness

*As I reread my post, it sounds a bit preachy, which is definitely not my intent. It is merely my feelings about a very personal topic. Without the accurate vocal intonation, it is sometimes hard to “hear” the written word in its truest form. Again, I remind you that this is my therapy… or lack thereof. Blog-therapy, if you will. :) Read at your own risk!

Forgiveness is a funny thing. People have so many different views about the topic and it is one that is easy to discuss, but very difficult to do. Peace is not possible without forgiveness. The only way young children can learn the habit of forgiveness is by seeing their parents forgive others and themselves. The freedom to be at peace in our own skins - that’s what forgiveness allows. We relinquish this freedom when we hold onto anger and resentment. Enormous amounts of energy are wasted when we hold back our love, hold onto animosity, and harbor acrimonious feelings. The only remedy is letting go, and being willing to forgive. (Grammar lesson: forgive is a verb… an action, something you do.)


The spirit of forgiveness is what we are often not patient enough to imbibe in us. Most of us are guilty of not being able to forgive people who have offended us in one way or the other. Sometimes we need to forgive without reconciliation - forgiving for the mere purpose of forgiving.

We often think of forgiveness as something someone who has done wrong, must ask of us. Don’t wait until someone who did wrong, seeks forgiveness. Try forgiving without stipulations, and see the calm that could catapult you into the oblivion of peace. (I know… a little dramatic and easier said than done.)

Forgiveness is a gift you give to yourself. It is not something you do for someone else. It is not complicated. It is simple. Identify the situation to be forgiven and ask yourself, “Am I willing to further waste my thoughts and energy on this?” Most of the time, the energy could be better spent elsewhere. In our case, continuing the fight on this horrible beast called cancer.

Mahatma Gandhi once said, “The weak can never forgive, forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.” Honestly, forgiveness is strength. It takes a really strong person to fully forgive someone for what they did, although you may not forget… also easier said than done.

Take this time to look at your life and see if any forgiveness is needed. Let today be the day that you make the choice to forgive and move on. Break the pattern that has prevented you from forgiving in the past. Don't wait for a crisis... Life is far too short!

5 comments:

Tamie said...

Wow! This was a wonderful post and something I have pondered myself in the past year. I have been lucky enough to feel the peace and liberation that comes with the act of forgiveness as you so eloquently describe. You are such a gifted writer!

Love, Tamie

NL said...

Tamie is so right, forgiveness does bring peace and liberation. Last year I read a wonderful book by Joanna Weaver, Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us From the Inside Out. She addresses the act of forgiveness and her discussion has been a tremendous source of guidance. I highly recommend this book as well as her other one, Having a Mary Spirit in a Martha World. Jackie, your post is written with incredible thoughtfulness. Love, Nancy

Crystal said...

Thanks for the nice comment that you posted on my blog. Your are a super writer and I want to be as good as you. I would love to borrow the book Marley and Me and you can borrow the movie. My mom has always wanted to post some comments but the computer always asked her to sign in and she never remembers her Google account. Even I know my own account. I really love reading your posts. Some are hard to understand, but I try my best to read your great writings.

Love, Kristen

mjhogan53213 said...

Hey Jackie, I did not find your post preachy at all. You clarified something that many people do not understand, and that many in our culture do not do well at all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in so many ways.
I have been following your blog but this is my first post.
Mike (Irene's live husband)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for including us in the party on Saturday. It was wonderful to see all the love and support surrounding The Bartaks.

With love,
Kent & Jeanna Dulyanai