Monday, April 20, 2009

An Eight Year Old...

I teach second grade - not new information to most, but merely a reminder. The children are seven and eight years old. One of my students started a blog (I'm so proud), and while I'd love to post the link, I just can't publicly make her known. Instead I am including a few lines of her first post for you to see the amazing writing of a second grader... she wrote this independently and it was not edited by an adult.

As we drove past the entrance of San Francisco and across the large beautiful Bay Bridge, I could see the blue bay and the gentle waves blowing onto the sandy shore. As we got off the bridge, we continued watching Marley and Me. Did you know that Marley passes away at the end? Boo hoo! When my family walked to the beach we saw giant brown seals on huge brown planks.

She is eight years old! Can you imagine her transcripts at thirteen... eighteen... twenty-five?? I'd love to take the credit, or some of it, for her unbelievable talents, but it is pretty obvious that she came in with a solid foundation. :)

I survived my first day back from Spring Break. Tyler had a small meltdown this morning when I was leaving for work. Actually, the waterworks began when I got dressed. He hates getting dressed, with a passion. He also loathes the idea of me getting dressed and demands that I instantly return to my "soft and cozies" (translation: pajamas). He snapped out of it when our nanny came in the door and asked him if he wanted to go to the park. I can't imagine where he gets these odd quirks and obsessive behaviors. Rest assured that I have started a savings account for his therapy, or mine... whichever need presents itself first.

Bill is doing well, but has been sleeping the better majority of each day. He has some new aches and pains, but finally the infection is going away. He still has the external bag attached to the seeping hole, but it has only had fluid once. We have figured out that if he stays on top of the daily draining then he remains dry everywhere else. So far, so good.

To say he is excited about the party is an understatement! Please know that there are not formal invitations and everyone is truly invited... even if you think, "I can't go... (insert reason here)," that you are incorrect and should come. If you need our address, just send me an e-mail or post a comment with your e-mail and I'll get it to you. Same thing with directions, but I strongly recommend www.mapquest.com .

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Hi Mrs. Bartak,

Thank you for writing about me in this post. I will write about you in my blog as well. You are such a gifted author. Your blog is a favorite!

Love, Kristen Tsai

Tamie said...

I knew who this talented little student was the minute I read the excerpt. We are truly blessed to be doing what we are doing and able to witness the talents and potential of the little minds put before us. The best part of this whole thing is knowing that you inspired her to write down her thoughts and become an author of her own blog just like you. You are an inspiration to many! Love, Tamie