Sunday, April 5, 2009

Emotions Running High

My head aches and my eyes hurt. It has been an emotional day. It started at church last night, and continued to tonight. Bill stopped leaking yesterday afternoon after I drained him, and he stayed dry through the night. This morning, however, once we left the house, he started leaking like a sieve. We met Joe and Ann for breakfast and Bill was soaked by the time we finished eating. We went home and he had to spend this beautiful day on the bed with a towel wrapped around him. Despite valiant efforts to get us draining supplies (thanks, Christina) we couldn't drain him because we did not have any more of the connector needed to start the draining. Around two this afternoon, I had a crazy idea... if you are a part of the medical world this will probably make you cringe, so please scroll down and skip this part. Before I explain, please note that I re-sterilized everything with alcohol. My (brilliant) idea was to dig the old bag (which you have to cut to empty) out of the trash and connect it to Bill in the backyard (in case it spilled), then we could bandage the area and he could make it until we get our shipment tomorrow. So, I sat him on the grass in a lawn chair in his underwear to drain the fluid. Luckily, we didn't have any spills and we used the same bag for three liters. It actually worked really well, but he felt an insane amount of pain afterward. I'm not sure if it was the drain itself, the act of draining, or the fact that he took his last Oxycontin last night and had to borrow Vicodin from Joe, since he just had surgery and didn't really take it. Not having the Oxycontin made for a painful evening. We will get the new prescription tomorrow, and I am going to request they write it for more so we have some leeway and the pills won't need to be rationed as strictly. Whew, it has been a day!

5 comments:

TEAM HOGAN said...

Hi Jackie. I was feeling badly we didnt get to meet up for coffee this weekend. But after reading about your draining difficulties, it sounds like you had your hands full. But you get an A for creativity!

I will be thinking of you tomorrow with your scans. I cant access your blog from work but I will check tomorrow night and pray for good results!!

I know its hard to stay strong for yourself, your husband and your kids but you're doing great!

Kind Regards,

Anna Hogan

Shauna said...

I think you would make a great nurse. Although there are a few more rules and policies we have to follow in a clinical setting :), you were a very strong patient advocate and extremely resourceful. I'm impressed.

I,too (along with hundreds of other people), will be thinking of and praying for you and your family today. Shauna

Tamie said...

Jackie,

You have awe-inspiring strength. I'm praying for positive results today and more supplies and medication!

Love, Tamie

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you each day, and thinking of you as you get Bill's test results today.

Mary (Tullius) Nyeholt
friend of Bill's from Amat '85

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie, Bill and Tyler,

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm thinking of you all and praying for you too. Along with everybody else. I'm really hoping that all goes well today. Hang in there.

Best wishes,
Lori Buley
another Amat '85 grad :-)