Friday, November 14, 2008

Prayer - (warning: strong beliefs ahead)

I fully believe in the power of prayer. I don't need anything to be proved. I have a blind faith in my spirituality and don't have to see it to believe it. I also know that God hears every prayer, not just a select few. He hears them whether you are in church, your car, or wake up in the middle of the night, He always hears prayers. Whether he acts on every one is another story. It's incredibly hard for me to comprehend that some of the greatest gifts He gives are often of the prayers that go unanswered. Maybe someday I will understand, but right now, today, I cannot fathom the reason.

I have always been a big pray-er (if that is even a word, let alone a characteristic). I remember lying in my bed at night as a child having conversations with God. Ever since I was little I have always felt that one should never pray sporadically to just ask for something, in fact, I don't think praying for a "thing" is the right way to go about a prayer request. I can recall when I was getting my Masters degree and someone seriously praying, "Please, God, give me an A on this test." I couldn't help but think...

God doesn't give A's, teachers do. God doesn't get you a job offer, or win a football game, or get you into college. He gives you the skills and abilities to do all those things. Only I can earn an A on the test, God has already blessed me with the ability to succeed, at some point, prayer should not change the responsibility that lies on my shoulders. Prayer doesn't replace studying or being prepared....

I have prayed more in the last 3 months than I can remember. Every time I think about our situation, I say a quick prayer. Although redundant, sometimes I feel like the more I pray the better the odds are that it will be answered. Like He pulls a prayer out of a hat and I'm just hoping He pulls mine. Other times I feel like I can't keep praying the same thing and getting the same answer, so maybe it's time to change. My new prayer....

God, please grant us the strength to get through this and please let me never doubt your motives or your plan. Also, please give me an A on this test... haha, He knows that I am just kidding! ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN

David said...

Amen!

Unknown said...

And tons of us are praying with you!

The Fu2rman said...

Yes, a prayer with a sense of humor, isn't that the greatest gift God has given us in tough times?

Even when things are bleak, or you don't think you can face the day, God will always gives you a reason to laugh.

I think your God-Sent Comedian is about 3 years old now...

What a little blessing, I hope through all of this, you and Bill allow that little monkey to bring a smile to your faces many times a day!

Anonymous said...

Blessed be your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where the streams of abundance flow
Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be your name

Every blessing you pour out,
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name

Blessed be your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be
Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be your name

Every blessing you pour out,
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord,Blessed be your name

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

omg i love this post. so powerful and EXACTLY what i needed to read.