Saturday, November 8, 2008

Go USC!

Teachers have favorites - there, I said it, some may deny it, but it is true. That doesn't mean we don't like or want to help other kids, but it's human nature to have a select few that you absolutely can't forget. Well, I have been fortunate to have quite a few of those over the years and last year was no exception. At my school, it's easy to have a few in each class. This is my second year teaching second grade, so it is the first year I have ever had past students stay at my school... after 6th grade they leave for middle school. Sounds confusing, but I promise, it's not. Let's just say that I would adopt Ethan should his parents ever want to give him up. If he showed up on my doorstep with his bags, I would let him in and never look back. In fact, he is in the class right next door to mine and it mortifies me to think of him moving across the campus next year for fourth grade. (But his mom is probably already crying, so I need to apologize for putting that thought in her head.) I love this kid and want the formula to clone him. LONG story short... Ethan and I bet on the USC/Cal game. I just realized how that sounds that I "bet" a student, but he is a former one, so I'm pretty sure that it is allowed. :) We bet a Starbucks drink, and I know he's good for it. While I usually watch parts of the SC game, today I will fully admit that I watched to see if I won or lost our bet... and I won!! We have a four-day weekend, so I have to wait until Wednesday to brag about the Trojans!

Bill is feeling really tired and doesn't have any energy, but he's not sleeping all day, not for lack of trying, but he just can't fall asleep. It's almost worse to feel so crummy and not be able to sleep when all you want to do is lie down. It was a long day since I wasn't feeling well either, yet Tyler felt just fine and has the energy of a 3-year-old, so I took a lot of Tylenol Sinus today. We go back to the City of Hope on Monday, but I'd bet a Starbucks coffee that it is uneventful. He stops the strong medicine on Monday, so tomorrow night is the last one, and then he has a week-long break. I am still force feeding him, but he would probably use the word "bullying" to describe it... at least he ate today!

2 comments:

The Fu2rman said...

Jackie,

It's funny you say that about your students, I know what you are saying. My teaching experience is limited to coaching Little League, but yes, I have my favorites too.

You happened to meet one of them, two seasons ago when Bill was my bench coach in the City Tournament at Golden Hill. You commented on how cute he was.

I was thrilled that he was my youngest, most shy, and worst player in the first half, but by the second half of the season, I had him batting clean-up!

This poor kid couldn't pay attention for more than 3 seconds in the field. But once he got up to bat, he took a swing, and hit the "you know what" out of the ball, his eyes lit up like the 4th of July...How could he not be a favorite?!

The kid soaked up everything I taught him, (except how to be ready in the outfield, A.D.D. I'm sure!)

I don't know if your students ever call you on the fact that you have favorites, but one of my player did last season.

I know you are paid, and I'm a volunteer, so this may not work for you, but this worked very well for me.

When asked why I liked 'so-and-so' more than him, I replied, 'he tries harder...Now take a lap for asking such a dumb question!'

JK-I actually said, 'if you want me to like you, take a lap!'

My question is, betting Coffee with students? A 3rd grader no less? Of course you won, you took USC, but what if you lost? You're going to feed this 3rd grader a double venti mocha, extra whip?

Then what? Ask him to wash your car, inside and out, take the car to your house and shampoo the carpets, and be back before school is out?....

Good plan! I wish I would have thought of that...Little League starts in 4 months, and my car needs waxing.

Thanks Jackie!

Anonymous said...

now that im crying my eyes out....cause we feel the same way about you!!! as you know cause i tell you all the time.. WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! it was funny because i was going to email you ....( for the your request from starbucks because ethan has talked about all weekend...) i wanted to check on BILL first, so went to the blog and saw your sweet note. i pray we get great news today from the city of hope.. we will check in later. bill should have a better week though coming up, right? love and praying constant! audrey