Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Snowflake!

The homework assignment is complete, and we survived! I actually let Tyler paint it... ok, I helped a little, but it was mostly his doing. After it dried, I started to plan the accessories, and realized that we don't have any glue! I guess since Tyler really isn't to the craft stage yet, and I am not exactly Martha Stewart, glue never tops my shopping list. Tyler and I had just gotten home from Target, too, and the last thing I wanted to do was pack him up and go back. Thankfully, I called our neighbor and they were able to save me the trip back to the store.

I have been so forgetful lately - I swear if I don't write things down I absolutely do NOT remember. I have felt this way since the day I found out I was pregnant with Tyler, only now it is actually worse. I took Bill's prescription and had a refill made of his pain meds (of which he is completely out) and forgot to go back and pick them up! I did all my shopping and as we walked out I thought, "Did I get everything?" Duh - No - I forgot the drugs... they were the main reason I went there in the first place! Definitely a blond moment!!

We have had an incredible couple of days, and I so look forward to writing about them and how we got to this point. I want to give my full effort, and I am not feeling well with this nasty cough/cold. I promise tomorrow I will post an update... let me just say that it is yet another lesson dealing with the vast difference between the communication efforts of men and women.

5 comments:

Mom 2 D and T said...

Its beautiful! Good Job Mom & Tyler

Irene McGoldrick said...

I found your blog by following Jeffsdaileyupdate. I saw your comment to Kelly and I wanted to reach out to you.

My husband died almost 5 years ago when my boys were 3 and 5 months. They are now 5 and 8.

I am writing a book and recently started a blog myself. I would be happy to talk with you about support for you and your children.
I don't know where you live but support groups helped me quite a bit.

Please check out my blog for a wry perspective on living beyond grief and please contact me if you like.

Irene

Anonymous said...

Okay Mom! You (I mean Tyler) did a wonderful job on your (his) snowflake!!! I hope that you all had a great Holiday! Hope to see you at Bunco sometime soon -- we miss you!

Jenn

Char said...

Now that's crafty.
I might just have to construct some Q-tip/Cotton Ball snowflakes with my kids.

Great JOB!

Todd said...

Wow, that's an impressive snowflake from a 3 year old!

Or should I say, 30-something year old?

Keep in mind, if Mom does all the work in his later years, what will he be left with when you are not around.

Case in point.

You may not remember this, you were only 4 years old, I was 9, but my Cub Scout Troop did the Pinewood Derby.

For those not familiar, I was given a block of wood, (2"x6"x2"), 4 wheels, and 4 nails. The object was to build a car, that was to be raced against eachother, and then the top 2 from each den would race against the top 2 from the other packs.

Now, Dad was going to come home and help me with my car, but I couldn't wait.

I followed the directions, broke out a saw and started cutting.

By the time Dad got home, I had a car that was totally crooked, because I had 9 year old skills with the saw. Plus, I used the wrong saw, so that didn't help...

But I was pretty darn proud that I did it all by myself!

Dad helped me paint it, and we were off to the races.

Funny thing, everyone in my den made fun of my racer! All of my den had their Dad's build their cars, so they were pretty much perfect. So I was outgunned from the get-go.

Well, I went up against my den and I didn't win...

But I took 2nd!

I made the finals!!

And then got totally killed by all the other 'Dad's' cars.

I took last place in the finals.

What did I learn from that?

At 9 years old, my best effort was only good enough to take 10th place among 50ish adults.

I thought that sucked at the time, but my Mom and Dad put it into perspective for me.

My car was the only car that didn't have a parents hand in it.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't perfect, but it was mine!

Parents, let your kids fail! Let them lose! It builds character!

Just be there to put it into perspective, that is what makes you a great parent, that is what is most important!

Jackie, thanks for that Snowflake post, I'm getting ready to start Little League again, so I'm getting my 'coaching' hat on again.

I'm coaching 12 year olds this year, so I'm gearing up for the Little League World Series! Haha, JK!

Todd