Monday, January 26, 2009

The Greatest Gift!

We had a really great weekend! Dare I say, it was somewhat "normal"? I don't even know what that word means anymore, but I'll give it a shot. Saturday, Bill woke up ready to go. He showered, got ready, and we were off to get coffee, go to the recycling center, and have some lunch. It doesn't sound too exciting as I sit here and type it, but you will have to take my word for it. We came home and he did not migrate to the bedroom. He actually stayed up until bedtime, which was around 6:30, but he stayed up the entire time! On Sunday he slept until a little after noon, then got up and showered (again, 2 days in a row!) and we went to a late lunch at Maggiano's with Joe and Ann (Bill's parents). We also ventured to the mall and got ice cream. It was a fun afternoon!

Bill slept most of the day today, and around one this afternoon (during math) I got a text from him that read, "I don't want to be sick anymore." I wanted to sit down in my chair, put my head down, and cry. I don't get feelings like that too often at work, but it just hit me like a ton of bricks today. I kept it together and moved on to the next math problem. Thankfully, I took the text in a context that he didn't intend... he just meant that he was uncomfortable and his stomach hurt. I took it differently and was ready to give the umpteenth pep talk.

Bill got the BEST gift for his birthday from a dear friend of mine, who is actually a parent at my school. It is the greatest idea (to give anyone) and so incredibly thoughtful. It is a kit to make a "stepping stone". Tyler and Bill did it together, but I mixed the cement and got it ready for them. It was big enough for their hand prints, a few "drawings", some decorations, and their names with the date. Now the trick will be to get it to set, but it should be pretty warm tomorrow. I posted a picture of the evenings festivities. It was FREEZING cold out by the time they came outside to do it. I think I chased Bill away, since he came inside, washed his hands, and headed up to bed... he so desperately wanted to get warm. It was the PERFECT gift... I am tempted to have them do a few more...

2 comments:

daune abadie said...

I can't wait to see the pics! That sounds like something we should all make...great mom's day or dad's day gifts too. I have one of just the girls' handprints, but love the idea of art and room for names! I'm off W-F this week if you need anything :) Always in my thoughts and prayers!
d

audrey Galindo said...

im thrilled that you all had fun doing that.....dear friend you make me smile !!!!! like i said before i cant wait until bill is feeling better so we all can get together and have fun.....lots of prayers love you all:) audrey