Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Abdominal Paracentesis

Our whole household is struggling with some kind of illness... not fun. Bill has slept most of the day, and is battling stomach issues. They seem to be getting better, and he ate soup without a problem tonight. I decided to search "stomach draining" since I forgot the technical name for it (abdominal paracentesis), and I was curious if vomiting/diarrhea is a typical side effect. I looked at a few websites and finally found one that seemed to pertain. I started reading it and immediately broke into a state of panic. It stated that if pressure from abdominal fluid is caught early there is a 90% survival rate, if not caught early it is 50/50. I practically started hyperventilating! I meticulously started reading every word instead of scanning the article, and I came across the phrase German Shepherd... I have never been so thankful to see I was on a website for veterinarians. Needless to say, the article didn't exactly relate to Bill's situation, and I need to stay off the Internet after taking nighttime cold medicine.

2 comments:

Char said...

OMG Jackie, you sound like me. I can't tell you how many articles I've read about animals with "fertility problems"

I love reading your Blog, keep up the good work!

David said...

Well that made me laugh, but Bill is NOT a dog! I will read later, I am flying to Washington DC.