Monday, May 25, 2009

Saint Christina

It is always comforting to post about a problem that has already been solved. Today, the skies opened up and and sent us an angel... her name is Christina and she is a nurse at the City of Hope (but coincidentally, lives on the same street as one of my past students and a current one, too... long story... see past posts). She texted me today asking how we were doing, and I told her that along with needing his lungs drained, Bill had some sort of blockage in his peritoneal catheter. It seemed like it stopped right at the exit point, which meant he was uncomfortable because this was day two of NOT draining.

*Disclaimer - I tried everything to try to get it unclogged. I even tried to take the tip connector apart, but was afraid to open it completely which would result in turning my husband into a fountain.*

We went to my parents' house for a Memorial Day BBQ and was thrilled that Bill was able and really wanted to go with us. It was so nice to have him there. The hard part was trying to coordinate having Christina come by to look at his catheter while we were still at home. Since that would mean he'd have to wait until nighttime, she didn't hesitate to drive all the way to their house for a quick home visit. She was able to get the tip opened and "unblocked" so he could drain and relieve the immense pressure he was feeling. Thank you to Christina, who is the savior of the day!!

3 comments:

Susan and Kevin said...

Hi Jackie,

We had a WONDERFUL day, as well, seeing you, Tyler, and Bill today.

I must say, it was so nice to see Bill still as cheerful as ever...

At one point during lunch, when everyone at my table had left except for me, I looked up to see Ron speaking with Bill. At about the same exact time, Bill seemed to notice me sitting by myself and, just when I was wondering how he was doing and feeling, he popped his hand up and waved the friendliest "hello"!!!

It was such an unexpected surprise and SO BILL!!!:) I smiled instantly.

I will remember that wave forever.

I am glad that you are still making happy memories together.

Susan

Annie said...

Ah angels and good friends. What a blessing.

Tamie said...

Take care, Jackie, and give Bill a hug for me. I am praying for some relief from his pain. You are always in my prayers.

Love, Tamie