Friday, May 8, 2009

Grey's Anatomy

I have always been a Grey's Anatomy fan. In case you are confused, it is a TV show with very attractive surgeons who have serious drama and relationship issues set inside a hospital. Not exactly an original premise, but entertaining nonetheless. One of the main characters was recently diagnosed with metastatic malignant melanoma with tumors in her liver, lungs, and brain. I know in my head that Katherine Heigl (the inflicted actress) wants off the show, however my heart still hurts for her character.

I know this storyline will lead to the character's death, and I'd be lying to say there wasn't a part of me that is oddly releived. Many people assume that skin cancer is the BEST type of cancer to get. Although melanoma often originates in the dermis as a skin cancer, once it travels to the organs it is no longer considered that. I have even heard and believed, "If you are going to get cancer, skin is the lessor of the evils." I am slightly relieved her stage is terminal, because people have all of these skin cancer misconceptions, and the only way to get the word out is to have it on a media source that is widely utilized in almost every home. I am thankful the writers/producers of the show are bringing awareness to the public and making the disease so severe that people comprehend it can't be cured... even for a doctor on TV.

It is NOT just skin cancer! Protect yourself... wear sunscreen.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I JUST watched last night's episode of Grey's and felt the urge to check your blog. I'm sending love and prayers to you and your family.

NL said...

Just got done watching the episode also. I cried for a lot of reasons. Love to you, Bill and Tyler; I wonder if the producers know May is melanoma awareness month and are timing the climax to occur in May? I know what you and Bill are doing WILL save lives!! Thank you! Love, Nancy

Annie said...

I have been having the same thoughts. They have done a pretty good job and I appreciate that they are not down playing the seriousness. Bob still watches but he tends to leave the room alot. I think it is alittle much for him to handle