Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Consistently Humbled

I am not a pack rat, in fact, far from it. If Bill accidentally misplaces (loses) something, I am instantly the culprit who has inadvertantly disposed of the coveted item. I clean out my closet (Tyler's too) probably more than one human actually should. That being said...

Over the past nine months we have received an insane number of cards, notes, mass cards, prayer chains, e-mails, well-wishes, the list is really endless. I can honestly say that I have saved every single one... almost obsessively. (No shock there.) I print the e-mails and sometimes even save them in my inbox to reread during the day. I read blog comments religiously and repeatedly. I have even printed messages off of Facebook. If you searched my purse, you would find a few notes of inspirational messages that are kept there for emergency emotional lapses in strength. Although embarassing, I have resorted to sifting through our kitchen trash in fear of accidentally throwing one away. The original "safe keeping" spot was in our office desk drawer that is of very average size. That began to overflow so it was time for an additional storage space. We have also now almost filled a file cabinet drawer. I may need to look into a rented storage facility. ;)

My point? We love and cherish every note, card, mass dedication, prayer list, e-mail, and comment of love and support given by our friends and family. Getting cards in the mail numerous times a week never gets old for us. Those words of encouragement mean so much more than any sender will ever know. I am humbled by the consistency of people's prayers and well-wishes. Even in the midst of a crisis, we still feel so very lucky and blessed to have such wonderful people in our lives. From the bottom of my heart; I thank you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie, This is your best post ever! Thank you so much for letting us know how much we mean to you and Bill!

NL said...

These notes, cards, etc... will also be wonderful for Tyler to read and reflect on when he is older. He will then truly know and understand the love and support that envelopes the Bartak family! Nancy

Jeff's Daily Update said...

Jackie! I laughed out loud at your post on my blog about the "cool" dual-compartment alien head. We are sisters, I tell ya--SISTERS!!

And to this day, I have kept all the greeting cards, flower cards, and other memorials from Jeff's last illness and funeral. I think they will be invaluable to my kids someday.

Be well!
Kelly

TEAM HOGAN said...

You know...There are few silver linings to this cancer thing...but the collection of love and support has got to be one of the warmest feelings a person can receive.

I mean, honestly...this awful disease brings out the very best in our loved ones and I am so glad you have such an amazing support system around you. And I am glad to be a part of that!

XOXO

Gene and Susie said...

Glad to hear you don't mind the prayers - because they haven't stopped!!! Much love to you all ~

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Jackie--

I think this was a great post. Your uncle Bob sent me the link to your blog a while back and I've followed your and Bill's (and Tyler's, too!) ups and downs with great interest, but I was a bit of a scardy cat to write as I was afraid you wouldn't remember me (we only met twice or so) and you'd think: why is this person writing me?

But reading this post, it made me think of how when my 19-year old kitty died last year, emails were my life line, esp. in the first 24 hours afterwards. And I can well imagine how comforting it must be, curled up with the computer or a snail-mail card after an exhausting day of teaching and being a mommy and supporting Bill through his illness, to read a few kind words.

Although we've only met a couple times, the time I recall most is before you were born. I was 12--you were born in 1976, no?--and I was visiting your grandmother and grandfather during my summer vacation. Your birth was late--at the time I was there you were already 10 days or 2 weeks late, if memory serves-- and your mom was incredibly (and understandably) crabby, although she had an absolute glow about her, her skin and her hair and her eyes. I didn't dare ask your mom about it, but your grandmother--so wonderful--answered all my questions. We'd spend the afternoons watching All My Children and drinking Mountain Dew and eating craft american cheese singles, playing cards and talking about you, and who you might be, when you grew up.

I absolutely believe your grandmother and grandfather are with you and are supporting you through this time, and are so very proud of the woman you grew to be.

Your cousin (once removed)

Anne-Marie