Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fast and Furious

We have had (are having) a rough night so far. I got Bill his trusty Chinese chicken salad, and it came back up almost immediately, which is also when the pain started. Although he was able to drain when Christina came over, he hasn't been able to drain since, which is probably the cause of the extreme agony he's in tonight. We tried everything to get the catheter top apart, and the dents in my fingers prove we were unsuccessful. We had the heating pad, ice, and three different pain medications in our attempt to ease the pain. He was groaning, rocking, and literally could not stay in one spot. It has been two hours of intense stomach pain for him. Thankfully, the last set of medications have done the trick and he's lying down (somewhat) comfortably, and I would anticipate he'll doze off rather shortly.

These bouts of hardcore pain are not good for his strength, will, or motivation. Tomorrow he goes in for his lung draining, and hopefully they can fix his catheter. He also mentioned that he would gladly welcome a few days back in the hospital. His scans are scheduled for Friday, and we are supposed to go back to the City of Hope for results on Monday. A hospital stay may change the plans, but that is really the least of my worries at this point. I just want him to be out of pain. Cancer is bad enough, why must it be so painful?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are both in my prayers. I can not imagine the physical pain Bill is in and the emotion pain you are experiencing seeing him like this. You both are truly special people and I pray that God gives you each strenth in different venues to get through this.

Anonymous said...

Bill and Jackie, I think all of us who know you guys wish we could take the pain that Bill's in, and what you are all going through, and split it up between us all to make it easier. You guys are in my prayers. I hope that your night gets better and you can all get some sleep.

Sincerely,
Lori Buley

Tamie said...

Bill and Jackie,
Please know I would take the pain away from you both if I could. I'm praying for a pain free, sleep filled night for Bill and some peace of mind and sleep for you too, Jackie. I will always be here for you. Love, Tamie

NL said...

Bill and Jackie, Ed and I have you in our prayers and thoughts every day. I know the Lord will take care of both of you; draw on your faith for comfort and healing. We will help in any way we can, truly, anything you need, any help you need...we are just a phone call away! Love, Nancy

Annie said...

We send our constant prayers your way. Prayers of comfort,less pain,peace,rest and a sense of joy.

Irene McGoldrick said...

Jackie,

I am thinking about the three of you.

Irene

TEAM HOGAN said...

Your doctor should/needs to give you guys a just-in-case-of-major-pain medication to keep around for times like these. And if they can suggest a nausea med for Bill to take before meals/during the times of day that he normally feels ill...that would be good to.

I am just a toll road ride away. Call me for anything.

Anna Hogan