Monday, May 4, 2009

Night Sweats

Today Bill had his check-up appointment at the City of Hope and thankfully Kyrie and Kylee (his 20 and 19 year old nieces) played taxicab. I felt pretty confident that they would entertain him and keep the conversation light.

It was a basic appointment with nothing exciting to report. He has probably gained a few pounds (3 or 4) in the past three weeks. (Thank you, Chinese chicken salad with extra rolls.) I sent Bill with three topics to discuss, and he remembered two of them. It's my fault... I said the list verbally and only repeated it a few times when he was in his groggy state. Why I didn't write it down is beyond my comprehension... I don't know what got into me. Next time I will pin a note to his shirt. :) Of course the one he failed to mention, was the one I really wanted him to discuss.

He is having pretty severe night sweats. Like the kind that leave the bed/pillow so soaking wet that I wondered if he spilled a bottle of water. When we first went to the oncologist in Irvine, they asked numerous questions about the night sweats and definitley showed concern in them. They went away for awhile after treatment started, but it seems they are back in full force. For someone who is always freezing, it is not easy to keep him warm and dry in the same moment. I really had no idea one could sweat in amounts that Bill manages. Hopefully his nurse will have some recommendations for us.

1 comment:

NL said...

Glad to hear the news about the weight gain!! Hope it keeps up. :) I noticed he was eating fairly well at the party two weeks ago...was happy to see that!! See you Wednesday :)