Friday, May 1, 2009

Cancer Stories

Cancer seems to be everywhere lately. The newspaper, the Internet, TV, and there are frequent news stories about preventions and cures. Even if you hid under a rock, the topic simply cannot be avoided.

The news stories always seem to tease the possibility of a new breakthrough. Unfortunately, the big break I am waiting for (AKA The CURE), always seems tantalizingly out of our grasp.

There are numerous reports on new drugs, or old drugs used in new ways, or new and old drugs combined in creative formulas. The struggle is in the fine print of these discoveries. The number of people affected in the studies always seems very small, and somewhere in the article or story this line surfaces, "Several more years of study will be required."

I am waiting for the day that I open the newspaper and on my way to the NY Times crossword puzzle, I skim the heading that says, "Get down to your local oncologist right away because The CURE is ready and waiting!"

Obviously I'm slightly exaggerating, and it is very true that great advances have been made. Over twenty years ago my grandma was diagnosed with (and later died from) lung cancer. Her tumor was only the size of a quarter. Clearly, that diagnosis would not be the fatal sentence that it was so many years ago. Millions of people are living proof of today's modern medicine... But, I have to be brutally honest, it is just not enough... I want more.

I want him to be cured.

I want to be able to say, "Bill HAD cancer, but it's gone now."

3 comments:

Tamie said...

Jackie,

I want you to say that to me too!

So glad we freed the world of guilty Starbucks visits:)

My Tyler had fun taking your Tyler down the bouncy slide and obstacle course yesterday. He told me how cute Tyler was. Hope you loved your baseball cake from the cake walk. Bet you can't even wait until next year?

Thanks for the sleeping tip too. I think I need to adopt your new sleep promise! I too love the quiet time on the couch by myself when everyone is upstairs in bed.

Love always, Tamie

NL said...

I so know what you mean....I had two parents die of what we called, terminal cancer, cancer for which there is no known cure at this time. Treatments were able to prolong my mom's life for 18 months and they were quality months; my dad, not a chance....4 weeks from diagnosis to his passing. "At this time" is, in a way, a phrase of hope....research, trials, research, trials...it goes on and on. I want immediate gratification!!

I am so thankful for the multitude of people and organizations( and that includes drug companies) that continue the research seeking a cure for the multitudes of cancer and other horrible diseases that touch us via friends, family and self. When you meet those people or come into contact with those businesses, thank them. They deserve all our thanks and more. Love, Nancy

Susan and Kevin said...

Hi Jackie,
I'm so glad you've discovered the joy that additional sleep can bring when one is worn out. I discovered this myself a couple of years ago after looking in the airport gift store for a book to read on vacation. The book that jumped out at me was titled: Take a Nap! How can you turn down a book like that? What it boils down to is even if you can't get the full 7, or 8, or, in my case, 9 hours that you're looking for, you can get the equivalent feeling of an additional two hours sleep simply by taking a 15-20 min. nap. Thus, on the days your nightly sleep falls short, remember the power of the nap.
Wishing you all the best.
Susan and Kevin