Monday, May 18, 2009

The Fall

We are still euphoric about being home. The nurse came over last night at 10:00 and stayed for an hour. Maybe I am getting old to think that is way too late to make a house call. He left directions and a schedule though, which is VERY helpful and makes it really easy. I had to take a half day today in order to make it home to give him his medicine on time. He could *almost* do it himself, but it's on his arm and you need two hands. My mom will be the nurse tomorrow, so Bill will have to talk her through it.

He is feeling OK... not great, not horrible, but OK. He is still in some pain, and it increases exponentially when he lags on his pain meds. He slept all day and again woke up a little confused. I gave him his medication before I left this morning, and he has no recollection of it. The struggle for us is that one antibiotic is given every 6 hours and the other is every 8 hours. So, that means setting the alarm clock to stay on schedule, and they are only given together once a day. Thankfully this craziness will only be another 7 days.

Tyler and I were downstairs this afternoon sitting on the floor eating lunch "picnic style" and I heard Bill yell and then a HUGE thump followed it. It was a horrid sound that still makes my heart race. He fell trying to put his shorts on. Luckily he didn't get badly hurt, but he did get a nice rug burn on his elbow that should be a rather impressive bruise come morning. I think it scared him (us) more than anything. We learned a yet another lesson today... Bill really should not be home alone; or at least he shouldn't try to dress, shower, or get up without another person here.

2 comments:

Jeff's Daily Update said...

When Jeff's left leg became paralyzed due to his brain tumor, he fell several times as he was re-learning to walk with a cane. My kids witnessed a couple of particularly nasty falls (the kind that bleed and leave scars . . .) Thank God Tyler didn't see Bill fall. The sound is bad enough. I hope you've heard/seen the last of it and that Bill's fall was an isolated incident. It makes me sooo sad for all of you: For Bill because it is so defeating and demoralizing; for Tyler because it is confusing and scary; and for you, Jackie, because the sound of that particular thud will haunt you forever.

Sorry--I just reread what I wrote and I sound like a real bummer. Hey!--Wanna drink pina coladas out of a martian head?

Kelly

Susan and Kevin said...

Hi Jackie,
Although these times are extremely difficult, please remember: THE SUN WILL ONCE AGAIN SHINE DOWN ON ALL THREE OF YOU... BILL, TYLER, AND YOURSELF.
Wishing we could take away the pain that you are all enduring.
Sincerely,
Susan