Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pain Medication

Only twenty actual days of school left; not that I'm counting (OK, maybe I am). I would note that this year has flown by, but it seems that I say that every year, so it hasn't proved to vary from the norm.

Bill went to the store with Tyler and me yesterday. He slept so soundly all day that he was confused when I came home from work. He honestly had no clue what time or day of the week it was. Although who can blame him, that is how I sometimes feel on a Monday, too. We headed to the store and Bill did really well when he was pushing the cart. Sometimes his balance is off, but the cart seemed to help straighten his gait.

Pain seems to be coming on strong lately. He has an increased amount of aches and pains, and he still has the occasional stomach issue. The past few days it seems his shoulder is giving him some trouble. I instantly think of the worst possible scenario, but after I pull myself off of the ceiling I can rationalize that he is probably sore from being so bony, and lying in bed all day (and all night) could definitely add to that discomfort. I will be checking into changing or upping his pain medications, although they just increased the dosage about a week ago.

Don't share this with Bill (hehehe), but when I had Tyler, someone gave me the advice of staying on top of pain meds. There is no reason to feel any pain, if you take the drugs correctly. I asked every nurse I had to just bring the medication every four hours, and please do not wait for me to ask. I keep telling Bill the same wise words of wisdom... THERE IS NO NEED TO HURT! STAY ON THE TIMING OF THE PAIN MEDICATION AND YOU WILL FEEL BETTER! I am literally doing everything just shy of actually taking the pills for him. However, that might not be such a bad idea.

2 comments:

TEAM HOGAN said...

I concur. Staying on top of the pain is key. Especially for sleeping, etc.

Sounds like you have a good handle on that from your own experience!!

Anonymous said...

xoxo....you all are always on my mind!!!!! im here for you always!!!!!!! aud