Sunday, February 22, 2009

Help...

I have figured something out. We are always so graciously given the offer, "Whatever you need, let me know." I think every person we know has said those words at one time or another. I have not been candid about how very fortunate we are with incredible love and support. There are countless people who would jump to help, should we need it.

The tricky part is having to ask for help when you are not accustomed to seeking assistance of others. I have to say the best kind of help is when I don't have to ask. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed that I don't know where to begin to even seek help. This weekend my mother and sister-in-law came over and we ran errands. Sound exciting?? I know, not really, but the fact that they just acted and came, and helped me get things done (without me having to ask), was the greatest gift! I had the best time! A girlfriend of mine came over Saturday night and brought dinner, then another friend dropped off an apple pie (from Oak Glen) and neither required my effort in any way. This was all after Christina, who works at the City of Hope, made a house call to check out Bill's stomach.

I have to add that my staff at work is also brilliant in this area. My team and and my principal automatically do things to help, without me uttering a word. They literally brainstorm ways to help us, and then offer me a list of choices to make my life easier. I would be lost (in so many ways) without them.

I am taking the day off tomorrow in order to make a trip back to the doctor. Although it doesn't seem infected, his stomach is lopsided and getting more so as time goes on. In fact, his belly button isn't center anymore because he is so swollen on one side. It is also much harder on that side than the other one. Since he's had it done a few times, he feels confident that he knows how it should feel, and it just feels different than usual. It is good news though, that he is not running a fever or vomiting, so at least we have that in our corner. I'll update the outcome!

2 comments:

Tamie said...

Jackie,

Glad you are going with Bill today. I was hoping you would. Keep me updated, and I hope you both feel some relief after the doctor sees him today. My thoughts are always with you, Tamie

NL said...

Jackie..You have been on my mind all day. I keep checking for updates, but know you are busy and will get to the blog in due time. Hope you were able to get some answers today and that Bill is doing better. See you Wednesday! Nancy