Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Technology

We live in a technological age. I can admit that I would be lost without various forms of technology in my life. Actually, I would guess I have some form of addiction, but since the entire world (practically) has the same problem, it tends to go unnoticed or is ignored. There are even aspects of my job (ahem... smart board) when I whole-heartedly depend on advanced technology.

We live in a fast-paced world... I can't imagine waiting for things that many of us lived without the majority of our lives. I didn't get my first cell phone until college, and now I panic if I leave it at home when I run to the store. I can't fathom looking up movie times in the paper, flipping through the yellow pages, or waiting at home for a phone call... or even writing checks to pay bills. Everything I do is done quickly, and there is a certain gratification to getting things done NOW, and not waiting for the mundane. I, for one, am not a fan of waiting for things that have the capability to be done quickly. It seems that I am always on fast-forward...

One thing has not advanced with time... Human emotions cannot be expedited. Grief cannot be fast-tracked. Feelings cannot be rushed. Life cannot be accelerated...

I am so humbly reminded that I need to slow down and allow myself to feel.

1 comment:

Aunt Judy said...

Come on back to the Gulch; it'll slow you down! Love you...