Friday, July 31, 2009

One Year Ago...

One year ago (August 1st) we were given the shocking news that Bill had cancer. At that point, we were told it was squamous cell carcinoma. It wasn't until 4 days after we found out its true severity. If someone would have told me that one year from this day, I would be trying to heal my heart and living life as a single mom, I never would have believed it.

We are having a great summer and have kept extremely busy with different activities, travels, and play dates. It has been a godsend to have the summer off, which has allowed Tyler and me the chance to get used to our new "normal". We talk about Bill daily, and he is actually starting to understand that daddy didn't choose this. He didn't want to leave us. I make sure that I show Tyler a balance that it's OK to be sad and cry about missing dad, AND we can talk about him without tears, too. We can remember the good times and still draw him pictures, even though he is in heaven. I am so proud of my little man!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you for sharing, so glad you"re having a great summer :)

-Alison

Char said...

This brings tears to my eyes.
I think about you both constantly.

Anonymous said...

xoxoxoxo.... audrey,frank and ethan

Delora Sandoval said...

It is amazing how much can change in a year. I am sure you could never have imagined a year ago that this is where you would be today.

I am glad to hear that you and Tyler have such open and honest conversations about Bill. Hang in there. Adjustment to any new situation takes time. Yours is particularly difficult.

Continued thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tamie said...

I knew it had been a year. So glad I got to spend some time with you and Tyler today. Your honesty and frankness is refreshing and heart warming. Just know you can break down and not be strong any time you need to with me. I have no expectations of you, only appreciation for what yo're going through. Hugs, Tamie

Anonymous said...

Wow
i am so glad to see you still blog. It's great to read your amazing journey through some very clear eyes. We send our love your way

I.Family

Anonymous said...

Jackie -
You are an amazing woman & mother -you honor Bill's memory best by the thoughtful and loving way you describe you and Tyler's "new normal" - I've said it before - but it is so true ~ you are an inspiration!
God Bless - Take Care
:) lisa rodriguez rosile '85

daune abadie said...

"I read in the paper..." that Tyler is a pretty amazing little guy and that you are a truely amazing mommy!!!!

luv,
d
**If you need help in your classroom, let me know...I'd be happy to help.

Jodi said...

Wow...life is crazy. Sometimes I still can't believe it. So glad you two have filled your summer with fun plans. I hope your plans include coming my tapas party on Saturday! We will have a blast eating and drinking our way through Spain! Love you, Jodi