Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day to everyone! Most think of this day and immediately think about a three-day-weekend (or four, for some)... myself included. I am a firm believer that regardless of political party we should ALL support the brave men and women who have literally given their lives to fight for our country.

That being said, today I have been thinking about the widows that are a result of these men giving their lives for our freedom. In the past (pre-cancer) I would hear of a young mother losing her military husband, and it was always a sad story. I would even mentally converse that marrying someone in that line of work would make you pray every second for his safe return. Hearing of your soldier's death would be something that was always in the back of your head, but something you would want to avoid with every being of your body. It would be a constant thought until they were back in your arms, safe and sound.

While I think I my thoughts are not too far off, my beliefs have slightly changed. I greatly feel for these poor women who lose their spouses in this way. Even knowing that death is more prevalent in this line of work, o
ne cannot prepare... ever. They are no more prepared for the news that they are widows, than anyone else. It is a shock to the system that can not be anticipated. Please raise a glass to those who have given their lives in order to give us everything... and be sure to include those who have lost the love of their lives to our country, as well. They are equally as brave.

2 comments:

Rick said...

You came in second place again. I know that you're heart broken. I came in 7th place. ;-)

NL said...

Well said, Jackie. My father is buried at the Riverside National Cemetery and while I visit him at various times during the year, I especially like to go for the cemetery's Memorial Day service. It is truly a beautiful and heart warming service that honors the men and women who died to preserve freedom. I urge all to visit a National Cemetery anytime during the year and to take your children and grandchildren.

A few years ago were we visited the American Cemetery in Normandy, France right up from the D-Day beaches, and then visited all the beaches we and our allies landed on that fateful day. It's an experience I cannot put into words right now, but hope to in the future.

Yes, honor those who died for us and those they left behind.

Nancy