Friday, May 14, 2010

Campers Unite!

Well, I did it. I finally registered for Camp Widow. Thankfully, it's not exactly camping, being that it's at the Marriott on the beach. I started to register a few months ago, and didn't finish because my purse was in the car... I know, lazy excuse. It is in San Diego this year, so there really is not an excuse for me NOT to go. The main reason I'm going is to meet the other widows that I regularly "talk" to online. There are also a few blogs that I read religiously and can't wait to actually meet some of the writers in person. The camp offers support, small-group sessions, and the chance to be around other people who have walked in similar shoes.

Everyone wants to feel like they "belong" in some capacity or another. Widowhood is similar. Only it's the crappiest club with a horrific initiation. I talked to someone recently who just lost her spouse and actually said to her, "Welcome to the club... I'm so sorry... It is awful that you have to be a carrying card member."

I wish I could leave this club and disaffiliate, but the rulebook states it's a lifetime membership. Truthfully, I wish the organization putting on the conference would not have any widowed participants and need to cancel it. Then maybe people wouldn't be joining and maybe the widowhood club would just fade away... No such luck.

I am really excited to spend a weekend down in San Diego sans child. The weekend happens to be the 6th-8th of August... so I will spend what would have been my sixth wedding anniversary (August 7th) at Camp Widow. How's that for irony?

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Hurray! So glad you'll be there!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Jackie:

I continue to read your blog and always enjoy your posts. I, too, feel like I "know" some of you (I found your blog through Eric Botkin) and its funny how I always log on to see how you are all doing. I think you should either write a book, or become a motivational speaker. You have such a way with words and often make me laugh - I think you could make a HUGE difference in many people's lives. Maybe you should be a speaker at Camp Widow?

I hope you have a fantastic trip and get in some much deserved fun and relaxation.

Take care,

Elizabeth Miller

Eric Botkin said...

Can't wait to see you again, our first meeting was not a good for me.....hopefully this weekend will bring us some comfort and new friendship even if we are in a club we did not want to be in......See you in August (also the month of my anniversary, August 29th would have been 18 years)

Hallie

Irene McGoldrick said...

So excited to meet you Jackie (and Wendy too) and all the other widows who will be in San Diego!

I'm not thrilled to be a member of this club either but we are a bunch of cool people who are trying to make the best of a bad situation.

You won't be sorry to attend the weekend, last years was amazing and I am proud to be a part of it!

Irene