Wednesday, May 19, 2010

An Ode to Preschool Teachers

Tyler had his preschool Open House tonight. As I traveled the room's perimeter reading the walls, I had to consciously swallow the lump in my throat. Not for the reason that you are probably thinking (that Bill should have been there to see it), but because his teachers are two amazing ladies who, without a doubt, love him completely. They are very serious about academics and maintain high expectations for every child... which to me, is secondary in my child's education. Seeing their interaction with Tyler tonight made me think that if he doesn't learn another thing the rest of the year... it won't matter. The love and support they have given will last him longer than any math activity or shape sort or insect life cycle ever could.

Do I want him to learn and grow and read? Of course. I want all of those things and many more, but mostly I want him to love school and feel that same love reciprocated. For that, I will be forever indebted to these two ladies.

Since I can not volunteer in the classroom, I try to help out in little ways that might make their lives easier. Whether it's an extra donation, or supplies for the class, it's definitely minuscule compared to what they have given us. I obviously empathize with the dedication (and dollars) it takes to supplement the curriculum for an entire school year. Tonight, Tyler and I bought books at the book fair for his class, and I had to laugh a little at myself thinking about its inequities... In my head I thought, "You have played an enormous role in shaping my child's life, and have created a love for learning so deep that I will be forever grateful....... So, here are a couple of books."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jackie,
You have written everything I was thinking last week, when I went to the twins open house. Thank you so much for putting my same thoughts into words. It was written so eloquently:)
Hugs to you and Tyler
Kim

daune abadie said...

J,
We are so blessed to have such wonderful teachers for our kiddos! They are just beginning their school days and to have a love for learning shared with them already....just priceless!!! KK and Morgan both loved room 1, and Mo grew academically, felt loved, and learned independence in room 2. I can't wait for KK to experience and grow with those 2 wonderful ladies you speak of!!!

Great to see you! I'll be in touch for our "hair" appts later in May!!!
d

Anonymous said...

NOW YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW I FEEL ABOUT YOU.................. WONDER IF YOU WILL CRY LIKE I DID WHEN ETHANS SCHOOL YEAR WAS OVER WITH YOU...... I STILL PRAY THAT SOMEDAY WE WILL HAVE YOU AGAIN.......... WE LOVE YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

Anonymous said...

XOXOXO FORGOT TO PUT MY NAME.......ON THE ABOVE MESSAGE... LIKE YOU DIDNT KNOW WHO THE BIGGEST BABY IS IN YOUR LIFE...HEE HEE...... LOVE AUDREY