Sunday, August 8, 2010

My (would be) 6th Anniversary

Camp Widow was this weekend in San Diego. It was coincidentally also my wedding anniversary. I figured it would either be really good to spend it with other widows, or it would be REALLY bad... Luckily, I took the chance, because it turned out to be the best situation possible (in a really crappy one).

I had the most amazing time at the conference and never once thought, "Gosh it's really hard to be here." For once, I didn't feel like "THE Widow" in the room. I actually felt a little normal. No one whispered, "That's the one who lost her husband," when I walked into the room. No one did the tilted head nod when I spoke to them. It was the proverbial happy place for a group of sad people. Only we weren't sad... Not. One. Bit.

It was a powerful weekend, and I left a better widow. I finally met some online friends and gained a few new ones along the way. It was like an exclusive club meeting where the dues are outrageously high and the initiation is life-changing. Even though not one of the 150+ attendees chose to join, we have a common sisterhood that is instantaneous and will bond us forever. The best part of the weekend (besides things already mentioned) was the ability to joke about death and the dying process. I know it sounds morbid, but there are a few things that only a fellow widow(er) can understand about this whole situation.

I am mentally writing so many different blog posts derived from the weekend. I guess my bout of writer's block is gone. ;)

Stay tuned...

9 comments:

Jenni Halley said...

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Mom 2 D and T said...

You are an amazing woman, period.

Char said...

Your optimism through thick and thin is absolutely amazing!

Amie said...

HEY!! You're BACK! Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time! Can't wait to hear all about it. Good for you for taking the chance-sounds like it paid off for you!

Irene McGoldrick said...

I was glad we could "celebrate" with you.

Irene

Eric Botkin said...

It was great seeing you again and I hope that we can continue to build a friendship, I am glad this weekend turned out to be a positive event for all of us, even though this was not a club we wanted to be in I am glad that I have strong women to gain strength and courage from and you truly are one of those women.

Hallie

Anonymous said...

Excellent way to put it! It was amazing!
Jenn W :)

Tamie said...

I've missed your posts! You have such an eloquent, humorous way of putting your thoughts and feelings into words. I can only imagine what it must have felt like to be with other women that could understand everything you've been through over the past two years. What a terrific support for you. Although I'm sure you gained strength from the conference, I'm not sure you understand how much strength and confidence you gave t he other participants. You are a pillar of strength and practicality and your journey and the way you've handled it is not so typical. One of your biggest fans, Tamie

Aimée said...

Jackie, Jackie, Jackie...I love you.