Friday, August 27, 2010

The McHogansteins

At Camp Widow I had the chance to meet some online friends who are now real-life friends. They have proven that life exists after widowhood. Blending their families totaling five kids, they have found a happiness that is apparent to the naked eye. Mike and Irene have what I want... an understanding love. Understanding in so many ways.

First, I have to mention my strong adoration for Irene. She helped me before, during, and after Bill's death. She answered questions for me that I couldn't ask anyone else on this planet. She just recently published her story and her book will be coming soon to a bookstore near you. I will have a dedicated post about Irene and her amazing book (that I was fortunate enough to read) very soon...

This post is about Mike.

He clearly loves Irene with his whole being. He is confident and doesn't cringe at Irene's blog titled My Sainted Dead Husband, like some men would. In fact, he is well aware that Bob (the saint) is a part of their family. He respects that the life Irene and Bob shared still exists. As the live husband, Mike is not jealous of the sainted dead one. I would like to think that Mike is not anomaly and one (or two, or three...) more Mike(s) are out there willing to pursue life with a widow.

I can only imagine that there always feels like another person in their marriage... albeit a very quiet person, but a trio nonetheless. A widow's situation is not chosen. We don't have an ex worthy of complaint. In fact, quite the contrary, we have a spouse that we still love and want. Seeing that it's possible to have that level of love gave us all hope that it still exists. It's not easy, for that I am certain, but seeing Mike and Irene together was a gift.

I want to find my very own Mike.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, so well said! It was great to meet them and see the amazingness between them. We really like Irene. We really like Mike. We really like what their love shows us. Thanks, Jackie for saying it so well!

Anonymous said...

I am praying you can find your own "Mike" some day

Irene McGoldrick said...

OK Jackie,

Now I have to live with him and his big head :-)

Seriously, he is amazing but I do hope not one of a kind.

Irene

Anonymous said...

oops, forgot to sign my name on the first anonymous post!
Jenn here :)
Irene, too funny!

Hallie Botkin said...

Well said....Thanks I needed a reminder after my blog and tears.

Ferree Bowman Hardy said...

There is more than one Mike, and his name is Tom. Now to hope for more than one Mike and one Tom. Tom taught me that just as love doesn't divide or diminish when you give birth to another child, the same goes for your second husband. He was widowed, too, so we hold each other when either of us has a little grief storm. I hope a "Mike" or "Tom" will come into your life someday, too. Don't settle for anything less.