Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Returning to The City of Hope

Today we are headed back to The City of Hope to visit. Sounds odd, I am sure, but it happens to be the mid-way point for a fellow widow and me. Her husband was treated there, as well. She has two young boys who have also spent quite a bit of time at the facility. I think it will help our boys see that other kids have also lost a parent... they aren't the only ones. I figured that if it helped me to see I wasn't alone, then Tyler could benefit, too. Since we don't know many divorced couples, he thinks he is the only child on the planet who doesn't have a dad.

When I told Tyler we were going back to visit, he was confused. I reassured him that we weren't visiting doctors, but meeting other kids who also lost their dad. I could see his wheels turning, and his next question was, "Could we PLEASE go to the cafeteria? I miss it SO much." Go figure...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee Jackie...that doesn't say a lot for your cooking, love! I hope that Tyler gets some comfort...and even a friend out of your visit. I will miss our weekly chat tonight. Take Care!!

Kim Smith

Anonymous said...

It was great? Yep, it's mixed feelings... nice to see you again and definitely good for the boys to meet. It was hard to be there, but it was nice to be there with you for the first time back. I wouldn't have wanted to share that with anyone else. Visiting that cafeteria and walking those halls was bizarre, but I had the sense that you had the same feelings and that was comforting. You get it. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Though, next time we meet let's go somewhere else :)
Jenn