Saturday, November 28, 2009

Gift Wrap

Although I don't usually comment on comments... I have to say that the person (Anonymous) who stated that I left out color-coordinated gift wrap was spot on!! I kicked myself for omitting that very important detail since it is something for which I am extremely grateful. I don't know who the poster was, but it was clearly someone who knows me VERY well.

My favorite part of Christmas is the gift wrap. I start shopping in October (when it starts showing up in online stores) and pour over patterns and ribbons and paper. In my dream world, I would have a gift wrap room with rolls of paper and ribbons affixed to special built-in wall units... Large tables would make wrapping even the bulkiest gift a cinch... Tape dispensers would be stationary and scissors would be sharp enough to glide through the paper effortlessly... I have the room designed perfectly in my head.

I always investigate the thickness to determine adequate quality, which can make this obsession get a little pricey. It is a rule that the patterns are not just matching, but actually come from the same company with intentions of balance and coordinating designs. I have had this year's wrapping paper for weeks and weeks.
Sound insanely crazy?? Welcome to my world!

I would love to have a business and just work in December wrapping gifts. I know I could go to Macy's and pick up a part-time gig, but that's not remotely close to feeding my obsession. I like to shop and wrap early so I can enjoy the paper under the tree for more than a few days. I could go on and on (even more) about my love for Christmas and slightly major obsession for gift wrap, but I will stop here and maintain the minuscule piece of sanity I claim to have left.

5 comments:

Tamie said...

Oh, this is why I adore you so much! A girl after my own heart. It's the ribbons and the wrapping paper that make Christmas so beautiful, and it makes me so happy to know you are as obsessed as I am! Your posts have been making me smile so much lately. Your honesty is so refreshing and it makes me even more thankful to call you "friend." I am grateful to be part of your life and to share so many of your silly obsessions. Isn't it great to already have the house decorated? I've watched three Christmas movies already tonight!!

Anonymous said...

Well, for what it's worth...you started my morning with a chuckle...Thank-god for you, I have treatment this morning...I needed a chuckle!

Susan and Kevin said...

Hi Jackie,
I swear, until last week I thought I was the ONLY person who admitted to enjoying the beauty and art of wrapping gifts!! (All the men out there reading this must think all women are thoroughly crazy!)

Anyways, here's my story:

Last week I was reading our local newspaper when I discovered an article about a local charity (the Let It Be Foundation - helping families with severely ill children) in need of "gift wrappers" to work their gift wrapping table!!! I was so excited, I was certain I would be the ONLY volunteer EXCITED to show up for "work".

I asked a couple of friends if they wanted to join me in volunteering, only to get turned down. Upon mentioning it at school briefly to a lady I barely knew, she admitted she loved wrapping gifts also and would love wrap with me!

Perhaps you'd like to join us??? I still need to schedule our date and time, however, it will be at the Shoppes in Chino Hills between Dec. 18-24.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the season. Bill would be proud.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie, You are speaking my language!!! The language that also includes really nice, fine tipped pens and high quality stationery. :-) I'll even admit to 'doctoring' up gifts, sent to us in the mail, to make them look nicer under the tree! Yikes.

Enjoy your wrapping!!

Lori Buley

Jodi said...

omg! You crack me up! I will say, however, I too have dreamed of a room dedicated to wrapping...with all of my beautiful paper and ribbons...pause...(I just got lost in my room for a minute!) A girl can dream! And, it is so important to do so! Especially around the holidays...yum! Cheers, Jodi